• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Idiots guide to mounting beadlocks

adding a link to your "home" page at the bottom of the tech would entice me to look at your products for sale... :D

So, did you count each BB, to reach the 9oz's? :D

Just giv'en ya shee at, good reading...

load the bb's before you put the lock ring on so you don't scratch your new wheels with a pry bar:gag:.

also puting the back side (non lock ring side) on a 5 gallon pale brings the tire up to a nice working level and also allows you to push down on the tire while filling to seat the beed as well as making the tire rest on the rim surface for ring application!!

basicly the same thing as you do but i like mine better.:laugh3:

Geepfreak said:
So, did you count each BB, to reach the 9oz's? :D

Just giv'en ya shee at, good reading...

actually did count out the first bunch and weighed with digital reloading scale in grains and converted to grams to verify weight. Then used my kitchen scale and adjusted it to match the actual weight. Then used the scale to weigh each batch for each tire. So Im not more than a gram off on each set.

xjnation said:
actually did count out the first bunch and weighed with digital reloading scale in grains and converted to grams to verify weight. Then used my kitchen scale and adjusted it to match the actual weight. Then used the scale to weigh each batch for each tire. So Im not more than a gram off on each set.
How many in 1/3 grams?
How many in 1/6 ounce?

bj-666 said:
load the bb's before you put the lock ring on so you don't scratch your new wheels with a pry bar:gag:.

also puting the back side (non lock ring side) on a 5 gallon pale brings the tire up to a nice working level and also allows you to push down on the tire while filling to seat the beed as well as making the tire rest on the rim surface for ring application!!

basicly the same thing as you do but i like mine better.:laugh3:

actually the bucket is not near as stable...tried it didnt like it....and by inverting the tire you never need to push to set the bead

xjnation said:

just for the record you dont' have to match ballance each batch of bb's the whole point is that they self ballance so as long as you have enough weight in there to ballance the tire you won't ahve a prob

If they were Swampers, he'd need to put 50oz. in each one.
MTrs are, by far, the easiest "aggressive" tire to balance and it's not uncommon to "zero" one without any weight at all.

One of my 37" MT/R's took 4 strips of stick on weights, I forget how much that is. I worked at a tire shop at the time, and that's the best we could do. I did by the tires from some guy that had them in the back of his celica hatchback, so they could have been blem's. But I get no tire vibes.

nwjeeper91 said:
One of my 37" MT/R's took 4 strips of stick on weights, I forget how much that is. I worked at a tire shop at the time, and that's the best we could do. I did by the tires from some guy that had them in the back of his celica hatchback, so they could have been blem's. But I get no tire vibes.

The internal balance is a nice what to go on Ali's jep we had one MTR and wheel combo that took 10 oz of weight to get close at the tire shop....we took of the weights and used 5 oz of internal wieght and its 100% better. So half the weight did ywice the job

bj-666 said:
just for the record you dont' have to match ballance each batch of bb's the whole point is that they self ballance so as long as you have enough weight in there to ballance the tire you won't ahve a prob

I know the tire weights dont have to be the same but I have 10,000 to use to do 10 tires, weighing was the easy way to get close to 9 0z in each tire and having enough to do all 10

Does it make a difference what tire size you have for how much weight in bb's you need? I run 37x12.50x15 GY MTRs. I have unbolted and bolted up my beadlocks quite a few times, but could do it 1 more time if the bb's balance them as well as you say they do. I ran 1-1/2" grade 8 bolts from 1" grade 5 bolts and I find that if I break a bolt I can get the broken end out from the backside of the rim many times by hand instead of needing to unbolt the entire ring. I could just unbolt the ring and put the bb's in that way right? I'm sure your way accounted for mounting a loose beadlock rim to a tire. Mine are all ready to go on my Jeep so I would just unbolt the ring and put in the bb's. Please let me know if you can get alot of the bb's, I'd be willing to buy them from you if you get the mass quantity you eluded to in your article. Good article by the way.

I'm also interested in your rear quarter panel guard. Is aluminum that strong though? I was looking at the Thor product with the 3/16" steel quarter guard and integrated steel LED tail light boxes in 1 unit.

Troy

Back