• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Choosing the right size TIRES.....

cassio

NAXJA Forum User
i'm running a 3in lift kit plus spacers and shackles for around 4.5" lift, running 31x10.5r15 bfg A/T, my fenders have been trimed front and back...

now im trying to decide on bigger tires here are my choices:

32x11.50r15
33x10.50r15
33x12.50r15

which one should i go with and give me some reasoning for ur choice..
thanks
cas

XJ all the way!

I think as long as its a 4.0 he'll be fine with 33's(if he goes with 33's) with stock gears
Mines a 4.0 with 33's, stock gearing and its a DD and it's fine, I dont do a lot of highway driving but when I do it can handle the 33's pretty well.

ok guys i know i could try to squeeze the biggest tires but i want to be able to FLEX well and still maintain a good drive sense its my DD...

as far as gears they may stay stock for a while...

so ...let me know

33 10.50's wont rub as much you will get some at full flex. but not enough to matter. Make sure the lip on the inside of the fenders is not sharp or you will cut the top of the tires. I cut slits in mine and then folded and pounded it flat. A few tack welds will make sure it never come open

xjbob said:
Make sure the lip on the inside of the fenders is not sharp or you will cut the top of the tires. I cut slits in mine and then folded and pounded it flat. A few tack welds will make sure it never come open

I just used a BFH and made it flat :)

This is Cassios friend he stayed logged on at my house....but we stuffed his 31's tonight really tight, the oppisite side we could easily shake the spring.....personally i think he/WE (haha) need to stick with a 32 and trim (he still has the part of the lip that slants out to create the fender) im thinking cut that off the it would be fine.

We rolled my old tires up 33x12.5 BF AT it looked like it would fit perfect with some trimming but Cassio is a stuffer. SO Cassio when you see this 32 it.

RiverboyZ71 (from...pavementsucks.com)

(for Cassio) XJ all the Way!

cassio said:
would 33x10.50 be better for the stock gearing or is the diamater that is the factor...
Well its both the size and width, But Like i said earlier...Im running 33x12.5's on stock gearing and its fine. So 10.5's should be pretty good.

cassio said:
This is Cassios friend he stayed logged on at my house....but we stuffed his 31's tonight really tight, the oppisite side we could easily shake the spring.....personally i think he/WE (haha) need to stick with a 32 and trim (he still has the part of the lip that slants out to create the fender) im thinking cut that off the it would be fine.

We rolled my old tires up 33x12.5 BF AT it looked like it would fit perfect with some trimming but Cassio is a stuffer. SO Cassio when you see this 32 it.

RiverboyZ71 (from...pavementsucks.com)

(for Cassio) XJ all the Way!
i think my friend here has a good point....

Gear size does matter, especially if it is your daily driver. think gas, think loss of power. Bigger tires minus proper gearing=loss of everything important, and a gain of more rubber to replace in 30,000 miles. Consider gear size when getting bigger rubber.

33 x 10.5 bfg mud terrains on a 3 inch lift pics.. when you click just right click and open in new window and they will work.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=68255

if you click on my name then homepage and look on my cardomain site. it has the old pics with 31s.. but you can see how much i cut up close.

o and im running the 33s on my daily driver.. they arnt bad as long as you dont have an hour commute everyday.. ..

keith

I'd stay with your 31x10.50x15 tires if you don't want to regear especially if you have 3.07 gears with the manual trans. I have had 5 XJs with 3.55 gears and 31x10.50x15 tires and it doesn't take that much away from performance and looks good. You said you like to stuff your tires, so stick with the 31's otherwise get 33x12.50x15 tires, they will not stuff as well as 33x10.50x15 tires, but they look good and you will not have that skinny tire look. Then again 12.50 wide still look good in 33, 35, and even 37's but that's starting to stretch it. 12.50 wide is just a nice meaty width you will want 4.56 or 4.88 gears with these 33's, but you can get by with 4.10s as well if you find them cheap...just don't buy the 4.10 gears etc and then you will wish you had deeper gearing.

Troy

wow, not alot of uphill or highway driving uh?? how is your MPG??
Chero-King said:
Im running 33x12.5's on stock gearing and its fine. So 10.5's should be pretty good.

Last edited:
Need to do some serious searching!!

1. You are going to want to consider gearing.
2. We need to know the BS on the rims you are useing to better advise about stuffing tires.
3. The amount you bumpstop will affect all of these.
4. There is far more to consider in the over all pic than just 32's or 33's.

5. For reference, there are people with 4.5" of lift with 35" tires, many with 33's, and some with 31's. All require different things done to the truck including (amount of trim, bumpstops, steering, gears, breaks, type of lift, etc, etc).

I hope this helps.
Michael

Back