• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replacing fuel pump

w_howey

NAXJA Forum User
I am getting ready to put a new pump in a 88 MJ, with the 23 gallon tank. I am not dropping the tank, unless necessary.

It has an almost full tank of fuel. Do I need to drain it??

Any other last minute tips? (or at least until Fed-ex gets good and ready to deliver the pump!)

BTW, If you work for Fed-Ex Ground, you are still RPS!!!

your going to need to lose some of the gas in the tank. I would drive around for awhile and burn it up. About at the 1/2 tank mark you should be fine. Juice

You need to get the fuel down at least to a half, and a quarter would be better - otherwise you'll have a lot of gas where you don't want it.

Even with the tank well drained you'll have a lot of vapor and drips. Don't use a steel tool to hammer the sender lockring open or closed!

Can you get the fuel pump to run by pounding on the fuel tank ?. If you can I'd take the shrader valve out of the fuel rail and hook a hose up to it and a suitable container then jumper the fuel pump relay to pump the fuel out.

Man, thats alot of empty drywall buckets :D :D

you definitely need so get down to at least 2/3 tank. you may be able to get it to work by jacking up the passengers side so that the whole truck is leaning over left. I love having a lifted MJ:D I can sit straight up under the bed of mine and change the fuel pump:cool:

yeah, and don't use a screw driver on the ring :fuse: :explosion: :flame: :skull1: use a brass punch

I will just detach the fuel line, and use the fuel pump to pump the tank out.

My fuel is on a seperate switch, so I can turn it on and off.(Another victim of buying a project from an electrical engineer)

But, yeah I guess it will be alot of 2 gallon gas cans.

I was looking at it, and I think I will use a chunk of 2x4!

I really don't feel like blowning myself up.

Back