• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ dana 44 brake hardware same as D35..

VegasAnthony

NAXJA Forum User
I was wondering if the springs and other hardware is the same as the D35 and D44
at the parts xounter they only ask for the size of the brake drums??

So what do I ask for a rebuild kit..I hate trying to explain to the kids at Autozone that its a 87 D44 in a 94

VegasAnthony said:
I was wondering if the springs and other hardware is the same as the D35 and D44
at the parts xounter they only ask for the size of the brake drums??

So what do I ask for a rebuild kit..I hate trying to explain to the kids at Autozone that its a 87 D44 in a 94

It's easy: you go in and say I have a 1987 XJ with a D44. You can also say that you have a 198X MJ with a D44. He doesn't care even if it goes under a 2000 civic, all he does is punches numbers into a computer and brings you parts that the computer prompts him to.

Miscellaneous hardware was all the same on my non-C-clip D35 and my D44. . .

I've got a 91. Depending on what I'm working on, I tell them either 1987, 1991, 1995, or 2000

3XJFamily said:

I've got a 91. Depending on what I'm working on, I tell them either 1987, 1991, 1995, or 2000
I just look it up my self on their website and click the "Send to Store" button.
The all I have to do is pick it up at the cash register.

The D44 has bigger brake drums and shoes, It was hard as hell to track down the proper shoes for my 87 D44 at Canadian tire, I couldn't get monroe ones, I had to use their main line certified set because that was all they had.

this is all the website list
for a 87

BRAKE DRUM ALL-IN-ONE KIT for a
1987 JEEP CHEROKEE 4WD
Normal Stock
Special Order
Not Available

Item Part
No.
Warranty Core
Value Unit
Price Availability
Store Web
BRAKEWARE
10 X 1 3/4" REAR H7064 $5.49
THE MODEL NUMBER IS CAST ON THE BOTTOM
RIGHT HAND SIDE OF THE HOUSING

BRAKE DRUM ALL-IN-ONE KIT for a
1994 JEEP CHEROKEE 4WD
Normal Stock
Special Order
Not Available

Item Part
No.
Warranty Core
Value Unit
Price Availability
Store Web
BRAKEWARE
10 X 1 3/4" BRAKES H7393 $7.79
MUST VERIFY BRAKE DRUM DIAMETER

BRAKEWARE
9 X 2 1/2" BRAKES H7276 3 MO $7.99
MUST VERIFY BRAKE DRUM DIAMETER

so doyall think that the D35 stuff fits a D44 also??

3XJFamily said:

Hardware for the non-C-clip D35 (91 and up is C-clip) works fine in the D44. Heck, even the the C-clip style would probably work but, as I recall it is slightly different. Check the adjusters while you have it apart, they don't have replacements in the hardware kits (at least mine didn't) and I found one of mine was siezed.

Drums, shoes, and cylinders are D44 specific.

That's strange, I just got replacment cylinders for my D44, without specfiying tha I had a D44, and they cylinders bolt up and fit, and appear to be the same as the old ones.

3XJFamily said:
Drums, shoes, and cylinders are D44 specific.

the_bandit87 said:
That's strange, I just got replacment cylinders for my D44, without specfiying tha I had a D44, and they cylinders bolt up and fit, and appear to be the same as the old ones.

Yup, you are right - SPOBI on me. Regular D35 and a XJ D44 use the same cylinders.

ABS equipped D35 has smaller cylinders than those 2. I was on a different thread that day about removing ABS. . . Since I ripped out my ABS and D35, and put in the D44 at the same time, I was just remembering there being 2 different sizes. . .

Back