• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which Wire to tap

PstrKd4BrthCntrll

NAXJA Forum User
I'm looking for a wire to splice into so that when my parking and/or head lights are on, it will trip a relay. Looking for a wire hopefully under the dash that is suitable. THANKS!

PstrKd4BrthCntrll said:
I'm looking for a wire to splice into so that when my parking and/or head lights are on, it will trip a relay. Looking for a wire hopefully under the dash that is suitable. THANKS!
Lost my crystal ball. What year model?

so rear clearance light .so you would want to tap into the tail lights?it all depends on were you want to tap into .do you want a switch on the dash?i take it you just want them to come on and off with the parking lights.dark blue/red is the color of all the running lights in the back from the license plate to the tail lights

Dont really need a switch. Just want them to come on when the rest of the lights are on.

Thought of splicing into the license plate lite, I'm making a project box like FitchVA did. But mines gonna be under the drivers seat. Ideally, I'd like to run only one wire to the bumper[where they are gonna be mounted] rather one from the hatch[which i think all the wires go to the top pass side], across the headliner molding,down through the D-pillar, and up along the side moldings tot he box. Then have to run another one back to the bumper. Less wire the better.

If i have a wire to splice from under the dash, run that to under the drivers side molding, into the box, then to the rear. Much easier.. ya know?

Last edited:
PstrKd4BrthCntrll said:
Just want them to come on when the rest of the lights are on.

Thought of splicing into the license plate lite, I'm making a project box like FitchVA did. But mines gonna be under the drivers seat. Ideally, I'd like to run only one wire to the bumper[where they are gonna be mounted] rather one from the hatch[which i think all the wires go to the top pass side], across the headliner molding,down through the D-pillar, and up along the side moldings.. Less wire the better.

If i have a wire to splice from under the dash, run that to under the drivers side molding, into the box, then to the rear. Much easier.. ya know?

Uh... not easier than snagging the TAIL LIGHT wire... as has already been suggested!

It's only one wire. IMHO ya don't need a "project box"... :roll:

Den

Project box is for more than one light. I got my KC's all running off the battery that I'd like to get off, wire my CB up rather than running it off the cig lighter, rock lights, these clearence lights, and back-up lights I wanna put on.

If i do splice into the brake lights, which wire then? it couldnt be a brake light on the top of the cluster[lack of better word] or the clearance lights would come on everytime I hit the brakes..

Last edited:
all you would have to run is a main power wire to the relay in the trunk.snag the signal wire from the tail light.then the power from relay to lights.done one main wire run which is what you were doing anyway.just put the relay in the back behind the plastic body panel.just make sure to have a fuse on the main power to the relay were it comes off the battery not in the trunk.you want the fuse as close to the power source as you can get .

note:also use proper gauge wire for length of run as well as the right amp relay for the draw that the lights will have.

I noticed the headlight connectors could be taken apart (carefully) and you expose the clips on the inside. So, I soldered a little connection added on to one of the clips (hi-beams but you could use low as well) and thats my relay trigger wire for my hellas.

The little light that lights up my climate control broke so it wont stay in the socket in the rear of the face of the control module, so I just might splice that and go from there.. Just thought of that on the way home.

Back