• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Down shifting Problem

Gerr

NAXJA Forum User
OK I have a 93 with the 4.0 and manual trans with 220,000+ miles and have developed a problem down shifting. I can up shift absolutly fine but down shifting is nearly imposible except on rare ocaisons I can double clutch and get it to go into the lower gear, and when it wont go into gear i can definatly feel the gears not meshing. I have a freshly rebuilt master cylnder that had lots of dark grey metalic particles were in the resevour prior to the rebuild and replacement of the past 2 master cylenders as well this year (about 43,000 miles since the origonal was replaced). I also started to notice a smell of brake fluid when I drive the freeway for more than a few miles but cant find a leak or notice any drop in fluid level. I have no clue when the slave/throwout bearing unit was last changed or for that matter the clutch either.

Ok here is my question should i bite the bullet and replace the whole damn clutch assemboly or take it to a trans shop and see if its the trans? (Im adiquit mechanicly but dont know tranmissions so im leary of changing the cluth and having the same problem)

Sounds to me like the syncro packs in the tranny are shot, and with the miles you have it's probably a good bet. If I can shift into reverse without any problems when stopped but can't down shift when rolling I'll look at the syncros first and the clutch second. Good Luck
Woody

Back