• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Short block: rebuild or remanuf?

mhead

NAXJA Forum User
I've a '88 4.0 I-6 which gave good service until my '88 XJ crashed. I've got the motor now. I want to decide which is the best approach to rebuilding the block. Should I buy a remanufactured short block and use my '88 as a trade.... or should I rebuild the '88 using local machine shops for the work?

I'm kinda scared of the remanufactured motor since I don't really know what I'd get. On the other hand the local shops might not do their job right either. At least I can my '88 block carefully inspected rather than discover what's in the box from the reman. I don't mind paying a little more either to a quality reman or to the local shops.

So what's the opinion: remanufactured motor with a trade in or rebuild what I've got?

Thanks!

Look at both options and then pick the most economical. Are you sure that the short block is the problem? How many miles do you have on the engine? If you have a lot, it may be worth going for a long block.

If you decide to rebuild, the best thing would be to ask as many people as you can for a recommendation for a good rebuid shop. A good reputation (from a large number of people) will ususally point to a quality shop. Ask that shop for a price quote.

I replaced the engine in my '88 two winters ago. I ordered this remanufactured engine that carries a 7 year/70K mile warranty. If you can pull the engine and do the wrenching yourself, this may be a good choice. There was a core charge of $200, but I chose to keep the old engine in case I decided to tackle the rebuild myself.

If you don't return the old engine for a core, or you get a core charge like $200 (in lieu of rebuilding the one you have, natch) let me know. I'd be wiling to drive a bit to pick up a decent RENIX engine for modding if the price is right...

Apart from that, another option is to have a machine shop run through the castings for you, and do the rest of the work yourself. This will allow you to fully inspect the block before it gets assembled, and you'll still know what you're getting.

5-90

www.jasperengines.com sells alot of remanufactured engines and I think is the rebuilder of choice around here for most professional shops. Another option if price is a key concern and this is not your daily driver is getting a junkyard replacement. I wouldn't do it but alot of people have success with that option.

Well...

Tempted to buy a re-manuf mostly since the www sites seem so convincing that the pros know what they are doing. It's my daily driver so I don't want/need any fancy stuff, just lots of miles.

Comparing Jasper to Rebuilt Auto Car Engines (in the posts above) Jasper comes off as much more expensive and having a shorter warranty period. Deserted, how's your motor running after two years? Any troubles?

As for my present motor, the one in the '92 has 203K on it and runs good. But I can hear a slight knocking which I take to be a rod knock. One of these days it will go.

Seems to me the cost of shipping the core back just about equals what the core is worth. Deserted, did you ship back? Was it a pain?

Yes, if I get a re-man I'll certainly get a long block. There's no sense in a short block.

Bajacalal- are new 'crate' motors available? Any cost estimate?

So all in all, I'm guessing I'll go re-man rather than attempt the rebuild myself.

I've put about 20K on the re-built engine with no problems what so ever. As far as the core charge, you're right. The cost of shipping the old engine could be as much as the core charge - maybe more with current gas prices. If so, I'd call around to local yards and see if they might be willing to buy the old engine allowing you to minimize any loss on the core charge. In fact, this was suggested to me by the salesman when I placed the order. However, I live close enough to the re-builder (Spokane, WA.) that I could just drive the old motor back up there. As such, I chose to keep the old engine should I want the experience of re-building an engine myself. If not, I'll drive it back to Spokane (or a local yard).

Back