• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Compresser clutch bearing, searched

K2fender

NAXJA Forum User
My belt has recently started squealing. I have narrowed it down to be the ac compressor's bearing. I have been searching for a good while on hear and can't find out how to go about doing this, and if I'm gonna need any special tools. How do I go about taking off the clutch and putting in new bearings? Any help would be awesome. Thanks.

Are you sure? There are also two idler pullys next to the compressor, and both bolt to the compressor bracket. This means that any one of the three can sound like a bad compressor clutch bearing, unless you do a little work to narrow it down.

I'd take the belt off and turn each pully by hand to check. As I recall, the upper idler takes a Timken 203FF bearing ($5 or so and a vise to change,) the lower bearing is built into the bracket (must be replaced as a unit - about $60 OEMR.) Both are easier, of course, than changing the compressor clutch. Probably both cheaper, too.

5-90

I have not taken the belt off but I am pretty positive its my compressor bearing. I moved the compressor clutch while the car was off and you could distinctly hear the squeak coming from the it. I appreciate the help tho. Should I be able to get those tools at advance auto. I already found the bearings there.

Back