• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fog Lamp Switch Replacement

chilibill

NAXJA Forum User
The OEM switch for the fog lamps in my 1990 XJ no longer works. Do I need an OEM replacement or will an off the shelf switch work? If off the shelf, what kind and where can I get one?

In reference to the above switch, is this switch installed by snapping it into the hole or do I have to remove the dash panel?

chilibill said:
The OEM switch for the fog lamps in my 1990 XJ no longer works. Do I need an OEM replacement or will an off the shelf switch work? If off the shelf, what kind and where can I get one?
How do you know the switch is bad if you don't know how to replace it? :wierd:
Have you tested the fuse and the relay?

I used the FSM manual to trace my non-working foglights back to the switch. I thought I was going to have to replace it but simply cleaned the contacts inside the switch any it has worked fine ever since. That was on my 89 which is the same as your 90. While I had it out I also got the little yellow light working which had not worked for 8 years. The wire that powered it had broken so I just soldered it back on.

Katarn

langer1 said:
How do you know the switch is bad if you don't know how to replace it? :wierd:
Have you tested the fuse and the relay?

I know the switch is bad because it flops back and forth and will not stay in the on or off position. As I wiggle the switch the lights will come on momentarily. This is why I asked for information about the switch, not the electrical circuit.

chilibill said:
I know the switch is bad because it flops back and forth and will not stay in the on or off position. As I wiggle the switch the lights will come on momentarily. This is why I asked for information about the switch, not the electrical circuit.
It just snaps in place. You would need to measure it to find the correct size, or order the correct one from a dealer.

I just one pulled at the local wreckers, it cost me about 2 bucks. Undo the 2 screws holding your dash bezel in place( single piece around cluster, heater ctrls and radio) found above your instument cluster. The rest just snaps in/out. you'll see two screws holding in the fog light switch plate. Pull the plate out and release the switch by pressing in the spring clips. Your switch should not stay in any position I think, the one i pulled works like my rear defrost, springs back the center with a light on the top of the switch to show its on, push it down to turn it off.

Back