• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is a HO 4.0 same block as the regular 4.0?

AKswampheep

NAXJA Forum User
I just bought a 94 HO motor to replace the old tired knockin engine in my 90 XJ. I was planning on putting some money into this motor but i was just worried about the swap im going to be going through. Will my 90 intake and exhaust fit up to that year of block and what other complications am i goin to run into when installing this motor? any electrical problems or anything like that?

The blocks are almost the same - the later block will have the boss for the knock sensor, but you'll have to drill and tap. Apart from that, they're externally identical, and internally similar.

The heads are different. You probably aren't subject to emissions regs there, so you can just move the head over and be done with it.

Alternatively, if you have the electronics, just move it all over and convert to HO.

It's too bad you're so far away, I could use another RENIX block. My mom just moved to TH - I wonder if I can talk her into hanging onto the engine until I have time to come out this next summer...?

5-90

Right now i have the 4.0 HO with the only electronics being the distibutor and the renix 4.0 is still in the jeep, just knocking badly, so pretty much all im going to have to do is replace the engine w/o changing the exhaust / intake or anything like that, with the exception of the knock sensor, and just putting like some kind of block on it? I would like to just pull everything motorwise and swap engines and have everything bolt up and run right.. even though thats not how it goes 99% of the time.

Back