• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Electric Fan Cycling?

KY-XJ

NAXJA Forum User
96 4.0L AC Auto 4x4

When I start the XJ, the electric fan will cycle on and off, on and off, and it keeps doing that. I will stay on maybe 5 seconds at a time. This happens when the Jeep is cold and I can here it cycle when I stop at a redlight. I'm thinking it's a electrical issue. Either a relay or switch or something. Any suggestions? Plus is sounds like the bearings are going out. I get a grinding type sound when it shuts off. When I turn the fan by hand it has some resistance to it. Is this normal? Or should it spin freely? Any fan suggestions as far as a replacement goes?

That's your answer.

The Defrost setting uses the a/c to dry the air being blown onto the windshield, to prevent interior fogging. Normal.

KY-XJ said:
96 4.0L AC Auto 4x4

Plus is sounds like the bearings are going out. I get a grinding type sound when it shuts off. When I turn the fan by hand it has some resistance to it. Is this normal? Or should it spin freely? Any fan suggestions as far as a replacement goes?

Anyone have any answers for these questions? Should I use a stock replacement fan ($65 shipped) or an aftermarket Flex-a-lite fan? What would be the min. CFM I would need? I was looking at Part No. FLX 392 at $87.90 shipped @ Summit Racing.

[font=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Sans-serif,sans-serif]SPECIFICATIONS for FLX 392[/font]

Fan Diameter: 12"
RPM: 2245
Air Flow (CFM): 920
Amp Draw: 8.0
Mounting Surface Required: 12-5/8"x11 3/4"x2 5/8"

[font=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Sans-serif,sans-serif]

[/font]

KY-XJ said:
Any suggestions? Plus is sounds like the bearings are going out. I get a grinding type sound when it shuts off. When I turn the fan by hand it has some resistance to it. Is this normal? Or should it spin freely? Any fan suggestions as far as a replacement goes?

The fan blades should spin freely so it looks like the fan motor bearings are about to seize. Get a new stock replacement fan (preferably the '97+ style with the curved blades). The Flexalite fan that you mentioned doesn't pull enough cfm of air.

Back