• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help please.Low oil pressure.

josh89xj

NAXJA Forum User
About 3 weeks ago i replaced my rear main seal,everything has worked just fine since. No leaks or dripping of the oil.I went about 100 to 200 miles since i replaced it and i still need to change the oil. Well, this morning on my way to work the pressure droped to about 4psi according to my guage. but if i give it gas it goes up to about 8. And when driving it sits at 18 at 2000 rpm.its never done this before. Any ideas I plan on changing oil and filter tonight but what else can it be? Could it actually just be a bad filter of should i pick up a new oil pump?

Drop the pan and check the screen on the oil pump pick-up. Sounds like you've knocked something loose and it's partially blocking the screen.
How was the oil pressure before the main seal fix?

Get rid of the POS Fram. I am using Napa Gold on the XJs and the SJs. Oil pressure remains consistent. Also verify the oil pressure with a mechanical gauge.

chris

I doubt it is the filter , first place to check is the plug that goes into your sensor above the filter. Unplug it , clean it , and put it back in , if you still have low pressure check with mechanical. Cherokee's are famous for their oil sensor problems.

I had an erratic gauge and a new cap and rotor and wires fixed it. I was told the rotor was arcing to the sensor near the oil filter and messing it up. Sure enough when I changed um it was fixed. Give that a shot, cheap and should be done anyways.

could also be a cam bearing gone bad. when you drop the pan to look at the pump screen, look for any foreign pieces in the pan. My 2.5L has a bad cam bearing and i get 0 oil press at idle when it warms up, however goes up the higher the rpm. And as soon as I get a chance, I am dropping another engine in it.

Back