• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What I did today

MJR

NAXJA Forum User
7:00am met a group of other bikers at the Saugus Cafe.

photo1.jpg

Stopped in Mojave.

photo2.jpg

Headed up to Kennedy Meadows stopped along the way after a wrong turn near the Blackrock Ranger Station.

photo3.jpg

Tow bill from Blackrock Ranger Station to Ridgecrest $410.

photo15.jpg

Rental car from Avis to get home from Ridgecrest $90.

photo14.jpg

The look on everyones faces when they see what happens when this pothole meets...

photo5.jpg

This wheel just past the Blackrock Ranger Station, *Priceless*.

photo6.jpg

photo12.jpg

photo7.jpg

photo9.jpg

Cost of a new wheel and tire approximately $400. Lesson learned, even when riding with a group take it easy and more spacing is good (sheet happens). Thanks to Curtis M for watching over my bike until I can get parts and make it back to Ridgecrest to ride it back

Mike R

If you were going to MX that thing at Monache or Sherman Peak, you came up a little short!
All teasing aside, that really sucks.
I've done the Sherman Pass/Walker Pass loop from Kernville on my VFR a couple times, and thank God I didn't find THAT hole in the road!

- RobertF

Clean-RC said:
WOW... how fast were ya going on that thing when you squared that pot hole?? Sorry to hear that ruined a good ride... At least you didn't high side...

Didn't have time to look but maybe around 35-40 mph.

Glad to hear you are ok... Sucks for your day though... I sold my bike to by another XJ... One day i wll get another...
I miss it...
Is your bike a BMW?

ken

PS
oh yeah ... time for AAA...

IMORTL said:
Is your bike a BMW?

ken

PS
oh yeah ... time for AAA...

It's a Suzuki Burgman 650 (biggest scooter around).

I'm going to have to go back and pick it up since the wheel is on backorder it seems in the US. One of the guys said he was sorry for it happening since he posted the invite and I came. I laughed and told him I'm more used to breakage on the Jeep not the bike. I'm going to talk to my insurance (this bike is the only one I keep full coverage on anyway). AAA was kinda useless (only gave me a tow company # to call, I didn't have the RV/bike coverage) and my insurance company (USAA) did the calls to find me a tow company that could tow a bike.

Mike R

Handlebars said:
Dang Mike, how are you ever going to get into an outlaw scooter gang if you have to drive a car back home from your rides? :D

Reminds me of a few years back seeing a huge Vespa group at a local coffee shop.

Jeez Mike a week jeeping in Moab and no damage but a relaxed cruise on "paved" roads and you're junk ends up in the care of a big slobering dog; Sounds like the scooter needs some 35's:) You showed good skill not dumping it.

DUDE ! ! ! $410.00 for a tow????
$50.00 labor??? what'd he do... charge you for the hook-up????
$360.00 for 60.4 miles????
I NEED TO BUY ME A WRECKER!!
(never had anything towed, so i dont know the "going rate")

Ever hear of these guy's.................
http://www.brosclub.org/

Glad to hear you did'nt dump it.
I blew a front tire at about 65 mph once, stayed upright thankfully.
SCARRY situation.
Ride carefull bro. ;)
chopper.gif

When in Moab I expected Remi to do that on his mountain bike.

Glad you are okay.

Latest news. The local dealer in San Juan Capistrano said in the five depots he checked it was back ordered. Well I called Ron Ayers (online dealer) again today. He said they could get it from the Georgia warehouse (since they are in NC) and that it was in stock there. However I was kinda po'd that when I asked about the front Pirelli Diablo tire he only listed the GTS23 (discontinued). I suggested he call Parts Unlimited and get the part number but I had to do it myself and then call them back with it. Now I will go back up this weekend with a friend and load it in the back of my truck and bring it back since it might be about 2 weeks for the parts. Cost of parts/shipping?

Wheel $291.36
Tire 48.10
Axle bearings 23.38
Axle seals 6.09
Shipping 20.00
---------------------------
Grand Total $388.93

About the $400 I figured.

Mike R

Didn't think about it till now but could this be considered under the curse of Sequoia since it happened in Sequoia National Forest? :D:D

MJR said:
Didn't think about it till now but could this be considered under the curse of Sequoia since it happened in Sequoia National Forest? :D:D

You might be reaching a bit Michael.

But it works for me. :D

--ron

Back