• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bad ujoints??

witstick

NAXJA Forum User
Hi there, trying to figure out problems on my 98 cherokee i just bought. I have what seems to be driveline vibrations at different speeds. I checked the drive shaft for play and could not feel any. Could my u-joints still be bad even if i dont feel any play? They do look a bit rusty and dry. Thanks, Chris.

Yes i just had my tires rotated and balanced.........i still have this shimmy at around 55-60 the passanger seat really shakes and so does the steering wheel, but its not so bad as to be death wobble, just really annoying , i cant figure out what to do next to try to get rid of this shimmy.......

witstick said:
Hi there, trying to figure out problems on my 98 cherokee i just bought. I have what seems to be driveline vibrations at different speeds. I checked the drive shaft for play and could not feel any. Could my u-joints still be bad even if i dont feel any play? They do look a bit rusty and dry. Thanks, Chris.
Yes they can still be bad, most of the time U-Joints get very stiff before the wear out and get loose.

Jack up the front and grab the passenger tire (and drivers tire too) at the 12 and 6 position and alternately pull and push and feel for play. If the axle nut is good and tight and you detect play, the bearings need replaced. Alternately, could be the upper and lower ball joints, but my bet would be on the bearing assembly...you'll be able to tell once its jacked up.

I had a similar issue on my better half's 98. Fairly bad shaking at 60 mph and above. Tires were fine, but the front hub bearings were shot. I noticed slight play doing the 12 and 6 push pull test so I pulled the tire off and took a good hard look at the hub. After replacing the hubs (both sides) shimmy is gone.

Dave

Back