• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Could be a dumb question?

mgreen84

NAXJA Forum User
I am looking at some of the post for installing an electric fan and removing the clutch fan, and there is alot of controversy over whether its worth it, but my question is, Instead of looking for fans in a junkyard would it be possible to just buy a second Factory OEM condenser fan like whats already on it and install it?

mgreen84 said:
I am looking at some of the post for installing an electric fan and removing the clutch fan, and there is alot of controversy over whether its worth it, but my question is, Instead of looking for fans in a junkyard would it be possible to just buy a second Factory OEM condenser fan like whats already on it and install it?

Dr. Dyno did a write up on the dual electric fan conversion, you can read some info here. I know he mentions in there that the electric fan that comes in XJs won't clear the engine where the stock clutch fan is but I wonder about maybe a 97+ one since they are slimmer units.

http://www.angelfire.com/my/fan/electric.html

I guess my answer is maybe, but you probably want to check around more.

To eliminate the Clutch fan, also for anyone considering the electric fan conversion on the 97+ models, heres a simple way to do it.

I don't know about other models but the OEM electric fan WILL fit in front of the Clutch fan pulley once the clutch fan is removed. One of the write ups I read on the conversion stated that this wasn't possible but I think it was an earlier model. I simply bought a factory condenser fan from the parts yard and with very little modification (think I had to drill a hole or two to mount it) and removed the fan shroud. I have an workling e-fan conversion, no problems thus far and I drove about 200 miles with it today.

mgreen84 said:
To eliminate the Clutch fan, also for anyone considering the electric fan conversion on the 97+ models, heres a simple way to do it.

I don't know about other models but the OEM electric fan WILL fit in front of the Clutch fan pulley once the clutch fan is removed. One of the write ups I read on the conversion stated that this wasn't possible but I think it was an earlier model. I simply bought a factory condenser fan from the parts yard and with very little modification (think I had to drill a hole or two to mount it) and removed the fan shroud. I have an workling e-fan conversion, no problems thus far and I drove about 200 miles with it today.
I still wonder why? Any what controls the extra fan?

Well after removing the clutch fan, according to my GPS I gained 2.1 MPG, and I now have the E-fan wired to kick in a 200 degrees, some also say that removing the clutch fan adds some to performance but I don't really notice anything huge. But overall I spent 20 for the fan and 15 for the wiring kit and t-stat switch and I saved a little gas in the long run....and in some peoples opinion gained some performance.......and it gave me something to do while I was off work

mgreen84 said:
Well after removing the clutch fan, according to my GPS I gained 2.1 MPG, and I now have the E-fan wired to kick in a 200 degrees, some also say that removing the clutch fan adds some to performance but I don't really notice anything huge. But overall I spent 20 for the fan and 15 for the wiring kit and t-stat switch and I saved a little gas in the long run....and in some peoples opinion gained some performance.......and it gave me something to do while I was off work
I find the mileage increase questionable. Civilan GPS is shiffted +20% to -20%
for secutity and therefore is not that accurate.

when you go by, the odomoeter it comes out to 1.9 so I figure its close

You could probably also rig up the other fan to turn on at the same time as the auxiliary fan using another relay. That way they both turn on at 215F or whatever the temperature is.

MAP

langer1 said:
I find the mileage increase questionable. Civilan GPS is shiffted +20% to -20%
for secutity and therefore is not that accurate.

Wow, I was reading to learn about the cooling of dual electric fans and stumble across this bit of mis-information.

The government CAN encrypt GPS so that Civilian is inaccurate by a margin. BUT, they haven't done it in many years.

Current "Civilian" GPS is as accurate as "Military" GPS.

So, for long term use, has there been a noticable increase in MPG with the dual eletric fans?

langer1 said:
I find the mileage increase questionable. Civilan GPS is shiffted +20% to -20% for secutity and therefore is not that accurate.

Not since May 1st, 2000 when Clinton order the civilian GPS SA (selective availability) turned down to zero. Of course the govt can always turn it back up, which is why the UN wants to take over the GPS system, ie they don't trust the US. Presently civilian GPS accuracy is limited by atmospheric issues, but that can be compensated with WAAS or true differential. We have an Omnistar differential subscription at work and we get sub-meter accuracy.

Back