• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

internal slave cylinder

scottlucky

NAXJA Forum User
next big job, fixed rear main leak in 88 4.0 and 2 months later my forever leaking slave cyl took a crap master cyl fine no air leaks but today im shooting fluid out from bellhousing and master cyl almost empty after 5 miles of driving how do i fix slave? does the trans have to come out or can i just slide it back on long bolts? where is slave inside bell housung? any tricks tips or diagrams did a clutch job on gmc sierra 4 wheel drive about 5 years ago and it turned into 2 weeks of hell please help scott

I have done mine 4 times. Some advice...

1st Get a good trans jack, you want the big one - not the little cheap looking thing.

2nd Yes the trans has to move back far enough to get into the bell housing, not completly out, but totally disconnected and dropped.

3rd Once you get the trans free it is an easy job, pull the old one and install the new one, use a new roll pin and friction washer that should come with the new slave.

4th The new slave should have the rubber bellows, if it does not, try the dealer.

5th Replace ALL the fluid (common sense, but some do not)

6th Ask for help here if you get stuck.

Good luck, last time I did mine it was a 3 hour job.

Rev

I hate it when that happens

If you can do it in three hours, you're a better man than I am, Gunga Din. Or maybe you have had way too much practice!

I did it twice before someone stole our '88. Photos here.. The slave cylinder seems to last about 125k miles.

While you're at it, you might want to replace the clutch pilot bearing and transmission front seal, as well as the rest of the clutch assembly. I got a Powertorque clutch kit (disc, pressure plate, and release bearing / slave cylinder) at Advance for . . . I forget . . . something like $160.

Good luck!

Edit:

Oh, yeah. Make sure you secure the hydraulic lines where they enter the bellhousing, or they'll rub against the bellhousing and leak. Ask me how I know . . .

Way to much practice. The slave without the bellows only lasted about 25K miles, the new ones last much longer. Actually, the trans jack you used may have contributed to the longer time, the one you want to use looks like this

tranjack2.jpg

I never did anything else when I did mine, due to the frequent changes.

Rev

looked at parts today on the net able to get clutch pack (disk pres plate throw out/slave cyl.) for about 165 or high performance for 175, seems kinda cheap when just the slave goes for 95-125 is there more than 1 type of trans in 88 4.0 cherokees, some sites list a peugeot trans also whats the differance and how do i tell which i have lastly if i have a shade tree mechanic, not a shop just a wrench on the side do this job for me what is it worth, i live near philly, pa and lots of guys need extra work,,150-200 dollars seem about right

Hi everyone, I'm new here. I have an 88 stock XJ with about 150k miles. 30" AT Dunlops and Dyno Max exhaust.

On my way to work I noticed that my clutch was spungy. When I pulled into the parking lot I did a quick inspection and noticed the master cylinder was empty but I couldn't see any leaks from it or the line... I'm suspecting the slave cylinder. So it's internal? Darn, and I just had a new clutch kit installed about two years ago. There can't be more than 25k miles on it. Maybe I'll just take it back to the mechanic. I can't remember the name of the kit but don't they come with some sort of a warranty?

The give away for a faulty slave is brake fluid leaking out of the bellhousing. Warrenty?? Maybe....up to the shop that did yours, after 2 years? I doubt it.

Rev

Back