• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

whats the best way to disable the abs system on an 89?

livewire

NAXJA Forum User
Whats the best way to disable the abs system on an 89? I just picked up an 89 4.0l auto, aw4, np242. limited, for $500.00 only 164,000 miles on it. It came with the abs that, I have heard is not very good. Can I just pull a fuse or do I need to redo all the lines and get a non abs master cylinder.
Thanks for any info.

livewire said:
Whats the best way to disable the abs system on an 89? I just picked up an 89 4.0l auto, aw4, np242. limited, for $500.00 only 164,000 miles on it. It came with the abs that, I have heard is not very good. Can I just pull a fuse or do I need to redo all the lines and get a non abs master cylinder.
Thanks for any info.
Pull the fuse.

livewire said:
Can I just pull a fuse . . .

A fuse? Yes. All the ABS fuses? No.

The early Bendix system relies on an electrical pump rather than a typical booster, and has no backup system (like modern ABS). Pull the WRONG fuse and after hitting the brakes a few times, you've got no pressure. Pull the RIGHT fuse, and all you do is disable the ABS computer. . .

I ripped mine out, and replaced it pretty much like the link says but, I just reflared the existing hard lines. Rear cylinders should be replaced too since non-ABS are a larger size.

Most of the time I'd say, "If it ain't broke don't fix it," but based on my experience, I don't trust that system.

thanks for all the info guys. i will be doing the conversion with a 96 booster.

Back