• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

steering columns the same?

ChipsXJ

NAXJA Forum User
anyone have any ideas which steering columns can be swapped between model years?

i have an '88 xj that needs a new steering column. will the column out of a '93 work?

thanks

87 to 90 for sure. I think that the plugs are different in 91 if it goes along with most of the other wiring that year.

Think in 91 they went to a different column. So anything 84-90 should work. The 84-86 models wont have that ignition switch position for accessory only. You know that position where you just put the key in and rotate it backwords on click?

Dude, I just put a '89 in my '92 and used my elect. and key shtuff. I believe jeep used the GM style column (straight no plastic) till like 94 or when the SRS air bag was brought into the game. You can swap your ignition (Key) cylinder over to the doner. just take your time with the plugs, they will slide through!!! It's a pretty straight forward swap. J Gib

ChipsXJ said:
how can you differentiate between gm/saginaw/chrysler columns?

A couple of things, first they just look different. The Chrysler wheel has an airbag in the middle, and horn buttons on the wheel. The emergency flasher is a button on the top. The wiper switch is in the same location but has a different action. The column cover is plastic rather than metal.

Back