• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

driving without rear driveshaft

awr94903

NAXJA Forum User
Yesterday I busted a u-joint which bent my driveshaft and messed up the yoke on my diff. I pulled the driveshaft and took off the front yoke and put it back in the t-case so I wouldn't loose any fluid and drove home in 4hi. Can I drive around like this for a while until I have the replacement parts? I have the non disco d30 & np 231 (it's stock for now so there is no sye). Is there anysort of cap that I can get to go over the rear output shaft of the t-case because I'm not sure how well the yoke will stay on? Also how do I go about replacing the yoke on the differential (8.25)? Can it be replaced?

Thanks

426.jpg

You can find it at

http://www.thinkoffroad.com/thinkshop2/asp/default.asp

4WD hardware may have the flange, if I were you, I would go to the junk yard for the part and another driveshaft.

Most parts stores, and definitely any tool truck, sell a plastic plug that is made to go on the tailshaft when the driveline is removed, and prevent the fluid from running out. When I bought mine (before I had an SYE), it came with three sizes of plugs, and I carried the right one with me all the time.....just in case.

Just an idea, never tried it:

Remove yoke, clean it and tailshaft of grease and oil, and insert a magnet.
Slip on the yoke; should stay, depending on strength of magnet and abuse incurred.
Easily removeable when you do your SYE.

When my bud lost his rear driveline on dump bump, we removed the TCase yoke from the driveline. Then we took a small (4"?) zip tie and laid it across the output shaft. Then we took a large hammer and pounded the yoke back onto the shaft, sandwiching the zip tie onto the shaft. That sucker stayed on with no problems for the next 300 miles for the drive home. Good luck....

Back