• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Quick caliper question

trekker

NAXJA Forum User
Hi,

I am right in the midst of replacing my calipers with rebuilt ones from A-zone. They each came with 2 copper washers, and I am wondering where they should go.

Anyone here have some insight?

Thanks,
Todd

They go between the hose & caliper. Save the old ones just in case though (they come in handy)
HTH
Nathan

Hey Nathan,

Thanks for the quick reply. I kinda figured they must be for that, but wondered about 2 per caliper. Do they go on each side of the fitting?
I'm sure I'll see as I go.

Thanks again,
Todd

Correct. One goes between the bolt head and the fitting, and the other goes between the fitting and the caliper. These should be replaced EVERY time that hose is disconnected, but you can usually get away with once or twice.

They're "dead soft" copper washers, that deform to seal both sides of the fitting. They use copper because rubber o-rings would blow out just about immediately under system pressure, and because the copper can take much more punishment (dirt, crud, dust, heat, pressure, &c.) than rubber can.

5-90

Hey guys,
I hate to admit how little I really know about brakes :shhh:
kawijames I am not really sure how to go about your suggestion. I am assuming that valve is at the master cylinder?
Regardless, I got one of those vacuum pumps at A-zone and here is my plan of attack in the nasty cold rain tomorrow!

Mount calipers, and attach hardline to the caliper.
Starting at the right rear attach vacuum to the fitting and draw fluid from master cylinder, adding new fluid as level drops.
Once all old fluid has been removed and new fluid has been drawn through the caliper, move on to the next one.

Oh, and use those copper washers that my first post was referring to!

Thanks again guys,
Feel free to drop by tomorrow and lend me some moral support! :laugh3:
I'm sure I'm right down the road from you.
Cheers,
Todd

trekker said:
Hey guys,

Mount calipers, and attach hardline to the caliper.
You mean softline, right?

If it makes you feel any better, I successfully did the rear disc brake install this summer with help from everyone here and before that, I never worked on brakes before. I did do a few test stops in my apt parking lot and checked for leaks before going on the streets.

I remember the first time I did calipers many, many moons ago. I had never done it before and figured the washers were for the bolts or something. I couldn't figure out why I couldn't stop the brake fluid from leaking out. Ah, live and learn. Now it's like riding a bike, you never forget how.

Back