• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fuel Pump replacement... ran in to a problem!

iBran

NAXJA Forum User
I got the pump assembly out, and swapped the pump and strainer. Everything fit together perfectly.

However, when I try to put the assembly back in the tank, it just won't fit right.

This is a '94 with the front-mounted pump assembly, FYI. I think there are 2 problems -- the tube with the rubber stopper at the bottom is hitting one of the baffles or something. That thick rubber ring gasket isn't helping me, either.

Would there be any harm in trying to bend that tube a little bit? Anyone else have trouble getting it back in?

I did not drop the tank... yet. I'd really like to avoid those two rusty bolts on the straps, but I need to get this damn pump back in this weekend, whatever it takes. (my other car's water pump just crapped out this morning and started spewing coolant all over the engine. great timing, huh?)

I'll post some pics when I go back out to the garage... it's nice and warm in here :)

I tried to do mine without dropping the tank, twice. I never could get it to line up correctly. Now when I need to do the pumps on any of the XJs (5 total) or help someone I just drop the tank. Gives us a good opportunity to check the condition of the inside of the tank. I have a Holley fuel pump set up to drain a tank in a matter of minutes. Dropping the tank may not be an option in a rust belt area.

Applying a little motor oil on the "o" ring makes the final installation much easier.

chris

XJ Buzzard said:
I tried to do mine without dropping the tank, twice. I never could get it to line up correctly. Now when I need to do the pumps on any of the XJs (5 total) or help someone I just drop the tank. Gives us a good opportunity to check the condition of the inside of the tank. I have a Holley fuel pump set up to drain a tank in a matter of minutes. Dropping the tank may not be an option in a rust belt area.

Applying a little motor oil on the "o" ring makes the final installation much easier.

chris
Thanks for the tip about the oil -- never thought of that.

I drove off most of the gas in there... there's probably only 3-4 gallons in there right now (maybe some of that evaporated with the big open hole, as I didn't finish the job last night... hmm.. shoulda stuck a rag in there, there's probably spiders and junk in there now!)

Aside from the rusty old bolts on the tank straps, pulling it down doesn't look to be too hard. Am I correct in assuming that I only need to loosen the bolts to drop the tank ~1 inch or so and then "un-hook" the tank from the underbody?

One thing I forget to mention, if the filler and vent hoses are stiff it may be a bugger to get back together. But that is where the oil comes in handy. Rinsing things down before starting kinda sorta maybe gets rid of some of the accumulated crap under there. If you do decided to drop the tank, lots of penetrating oil on the offending nuts helps.

chris

Jack up the right side rear let the tire stay on the ground use a jack stand under the frame.

You now have enough room to move the fuel sending unit around.

Put a little grease on the o-ring to hold it to the tank.

If you can get someone to help hold everything up to the tank while you hammer the lock ring on makes it go a lot faster.

73's KG4BET

Back