• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Load capacity of XJ

BDHershey

NAXJA Forum User
Hey

I have a 99 XJ 4x4 4dr and was wondering if anyone knew what type of load I should be able to haul in the rear? I work for a foodservice distributor and occasionally have to deliver items to customers. I have noticed that a load of a few hundred pounds really seems to squat the Jeep in the rear. Even when loaded in front of the rear axel squat can be significant. Stock suspension. Worn components maybe?

Thanks for the info!

-Hershey

Most I've piled into my 87 was about 1700# of scrap copper - with the rear seat folded down, the right front seat removed, and the very large bits tied down up top. Talk about squat!

If you think you're going to do a lot of hauling of large loads, you'd be well advised to get yourself a set of airbags - they can be had for the rear, and possibly the front as well. The 'bags themselves are cheap enough ($50-80/set, IIRC - check Airlift) but the compressor can be pretty hairy. No reason you couldn't use a portable or OBA tho - just a little less convenient.

(And people wonder why my rear springs are straight...)

5-90

I put a 2.4L Nissan motor and tranny in the back, and drove it from Mass to Maine on the highway, then around with it for a week.
HPIM1113.jpg

If you don't do much offroad, a set of air shocks will help.

I hauled 24 80 pound bags of concrete (1920 lbs.) in the back of my 1990 XJ (stock) about 6 miles last Summer with no ill effects. I can tell you I was glad to get where I was going, but the Jeep took the weight no problem. So unless you've got some very heavy souffles, you should be OK.

80 cu. ft. stainless scuba tanks X 20 of them full, all the other equipment too for 5 people (regulators, wetsuits, lead weights) a couple of 10 mile trips with a passenger. I also had a job where I would buy wholesale food and put it in the jeep, got the back tires real close to the wheel wells but I think the tanks were heavier. I've had that Jeep so full I had to put the seat way forward and couldn't see out the rear, doesn't handle that great full but it gets there and comes to a stop.

I have not had any issues with the tires rubbing or anything. And I don't do enough hauling to justify airbags, thnakfully we have tractor-trailers for that. But I've had a few instances with 50# bags of flour or sugar I've had to deliver, or concrete, lime, or fertilizer from the Lowe's for the house that I wondered. I've just noticed some other people's vehicles didn't seem to even act like they had a load and mine was squatting.

Thanks

I remember that one. The phrase that stuck with me was "The driver was found on the side of the highway, and his mental state was 'other than normal'..."

Unbelievable - those cars aren't built to haul anything, and he's got half its weight on the roof!

5-90

Back