• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Buying a MIG

First off, if it is a flux core welder, by definition it isn't a mig. Flux core works but is messy. I say go with a real MIG, ideally 220v. Nothing like trying to learn using crappy tools.

I would agree that you really should look into a 220v model, say like a Millermatic 175. I've got one of those, and it's awesome! Obviously some more bucks, but more bucks better spent. You'll hate yourself for buying anything less...

110V or go home. Hobart Handler 140. Gas or Flux. Welds up to 1/4"

handler140.jpg

IH8RDS said:
110V or go home. Hobart Handler 140. Gas or Flux. Welds up to 1/4"

handler140.jpg

Despite what some of those high voltage guys say, I'll add my two cents. For about 15 years I used the 90 amp version of that Hobart Handler, in MIG mode, and it did huge amounts of work, a great machine, and very useful for its portability. I switched it over to flux core and gave it to my son for Christmas last year (he lives in an apartment and needs the one-box portability). I replaced it with a Miller 135 MIG. Well above the 200 buck budget, but even nicer than the old Hobart.

If 220 isn't practical, don't do without.

Cheap and welding dont really go together...its expensive to pay someone to do it and its expensive to invest in equipment to do it yourself. If your going to spend the money though, get something that you wont want to replace after a few hours working it(like you will with a 200 dollar welder). I have a small lincoln 135 amp and use the snot out of it.

http://www.mylincolnelectric.com/Catalog/equipmentdatasheet.asp?p=7082

We used it to fab up a friends roll cage a couple years ago and it worked great. Ive made bumpers, roll bars, replaced floor-pans, exhausts, and tons of other things with it and can honestly say im very pleased with its performance. Stay away from flux-cored if youve never welded before. Its IMO, more difficult to weld with as it requires a different technique and GOOD prep-work. A plain jane mig can be picked up for about 400 bucks...maybe even less if you shop around for a used one. Figure probably another 100+ for a bottle. Dont go super cheap or else youll kick yourself in the rear end later down the road when you find out that your little rinky-dink welder wont really weld crap.

OK, I know that 220 is better, but I cant afford $500 (or $700+ for a millermatic 175).

Would it be better to buy a nice arc?? I don't mind work, I just need a machine that with give a strong weld that can pull me out of mud, protect me in a roll-over and weld a cage around my GF :)

OR...I better start saving

noresttill said:
OK, I know that 220 is better, but I cant afford $500 (or $700+ for a millermatic 175).

Would it be better to buy a nice arc?? I don't mind work, I just need a machine that with give a strong weld that can pull me out of mud, protect me in a roll-over and weld a cage around my GF :)

OR...I better start saving

My advice, you will really LOVE the MIG welder. If you have $200 now, SAVE UP the extra $300 and get 1 of these: Hobard, Miller, Lincoln. If you can use 220V, GET THAT. Go with solid wire and gas, you will get a better weld, and easier to weld with.

Im sorry, but as one of the previous posters stated, good welder and cheap dont go hand in hand. In the $500 range, for a good welder, thats cheap. :)

Ive been a professional welder for over 8 years, overall Ive got 16 years experience. Please, do yourself a favor and get a GOOD one.

Theres lots of el'cheapo welders out there (Steer clear from Centry and any Craftsman MIG (made by Centry)), there inexpensive and attractive, but you will want to slit your wrist over the frustration they will provide. Sure, you can weld new floor pans in, but THAT WILL BE IT!

With a GOOD welder, you can do body work then switch over and put new spring perches on an axle and even build a bumper... Now, doesnt that sound much better??

Good luck bro, and be careful... Welding is addictive!! :)

HTH,
Andrew

This is an old thread, but I thought I would still add my 2 cents. I wouldn't wait till I could afford to get the 220 unit. There isn't anything wrong with a good 110 unit. I use a Miller Sidekick, that can be had on EBay for around $100.00 and with the money left over you can get a good stick machine and be able to weld just about anything you can dream up. I have been using this combo for twenty years now, before that I used gas and stick only, and have been really pleased with the versatility. I would love to buy a Miller 251 unit, or a good TIG machine, but for now I'm happy with my little Sidekick. Good Luck

Woody

I recently borrowed a friends Lincoln 135 Plus. I was very impressed. It burned great all the way up to 3/16" (flux core), and I'd feel comfortable with 1/4" with an extra pass or two and more beveling. Though he did say it was quite a bit better than the Lincoln 135t and Miller 135, I haven't used them.

With the Miller 250x I used to use I felt much more confident in burning 1/4" with little prep work, and you could move a bead along much quicker. Also gas was more an option since the 135 won't burn as hot on gas.

BrettM said:
I recently borrowed a friends Lincoln 135 Plus. I was very impressed. It burned great all the way up to 3/16" (flux core), and I'd feel comfortable with 1/4" with an extra pass or two and more beveling. Though he did say it was quite a bit better than the Lincoln 135t and Miller 135, I haven't used them.

With the Miller 250x I used to use I felt much more confident in burning 1/4" with little prep work, and you could move a bead along much quicker. Also gas was more an option since the 135 won't burn as hot on gas.

how is that ready welder working out for you?

still use it?

noresttill said:
Ok, so the verdict is save. Thanks a lot, ill try :)
Ive seen these discussions with many first time buyers on this subject, and my hats off to you! You came to the realization just be patient and save, get a good welder to start and not have a junker collecting dust in the garage or basment that aint worth shit!

I think you make a wise desicion! I used to weld professionally, though we cant all afford a really nice welder, piece of junk welders are manufactured and bought each day, that makes me cringe!

I *still* use my buzz box because I still dont have the funds for the MIG I want.
myarcwelder.jpg

As far as Sears welders go, IIRC Lincoln makes the buzz boxes, which is perfectly fine. Theres not much to one, take the cover off one and you will see what I mean. Sears MIG and gassless welders are made by Century, and all Century welders are POS.

Ive got $40 in the box, and about $40 in new LONG leads, can walk all the way around a 6X9 trailer with the stinger now! Love that! BTW, where the sitting is at now, 130A, I was doing 3/16 single pass with deep penetration. I can do 1/4 single pass at just 200A.

I cant do the math for you, and dont explain it like an expert professional welder can, but 100A from a 110V welder is NOT AS HOT as 100A from a 220V welder. Just take my word on it.

Cheers,
Andrew

Back