• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rat-a-tat-tat goes my shifter

Bowzer

NAXJA Forum User
2000 XJ Sport 4x4
I6-4.0L
AW4
NP231
D30/F
8.25/R

_
My Trans Shifter (not TC shifter) is making a rattling/very slight knock: tat-tat, tat-tat.. tat
sound from under/around it... WTF
Flexplate?
Pilot Bearing?
Linkage?

:mad:

drove it in the morning: picked up g/f, drop her off at work, came home. Drove fine no rattling -or anything.

drove it afternoon: picked up g/f from work, went to bank, as I put in Reverse the Jeep (mostly front end) vibrated some, lil shakey.. put it Neutral for a sec-no vibes, then Drive.. no vibes, got to my house put in Park, Trans Shifter area started making the rattle.. while engine still running, checked under Jeep (Oil Pan, Trans, TC areas) heard nothing, come back up-into the Jeep, still hear the rattling..

:dunno:

I lost the dust sleeve a long rime ago and am notorious for letting coins fall down into the center console where they rattle around on the bumpy roads. Maybe something got in there or maybe your linkage is coming loose???

thanks for the reply, I've learned it's possibly: flexplate/linkage/u-joints ..
_
U-joints are in OK condition-not replaceable yet.

Linkage isn't loose-pulled the shifter cover-all good under there.

*haven't checked Flexplate.. ("remove the sheild at the bottom of bellhousing, and I should see bolts-tighten them?")

-----no Check Engine Light, no codes-----

It is the linkage, the one of the 4WD shifter...mine does the same, especially at stoplights. If you press it down, the noise will disappear. (sorry, I dont have the terms straight yet, but hope this helps)

Boris

Last edited:
If pulling on the shifter effects it, it's probably this:

FSB NO: 21-09-98
Transfer Case Shifter Noise
Date Jul. 31, 1998.

Parts required:
(1) 05014148AA Repair Kit

Basically replaces some of the bushings.

Even though the FSB came out in 98', I think later XJ's still had this problem.

I just turn up the radio in my rattling 98'.

Last edited:
well, the "rattle" hasn't happened again... so :dunno: hopefully it doesn't happen again...

When the XJ was on the lift today (L.O.F.), I pulled the dust shield off, flexplate bolts weren't loose. Put a wrench on em, they we're already tight.

Back