• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

power steering fluids

Kejtar

PostMaster General
NAXJA Member
Are all power steering fluids born equal? :D Or are there some that are better than the others: especially in regards to heating up and cooling down. Since I will have to swap out the pressure hose on the power steering pump I figured I might as well replace the fluid.

I will only use MOPAR.

The steering pumps are so prone to failure as it is, you might as well only use exactly what they say to use.

No matter what you do, make sure you purge all the old gunk out of the system while you are it (search if you dont know how).

Get at least 2 regular sized (half a quart maybe each?) containers of it. 3 if possible and you plan on squirting fluid everywhere a few times like I do.

Just saying not all ps fliuds are born equal, now if you would have asked if all the ps fluids for a chrysler/jeep product were born equal then i would have given you a more precise answer, yes. You can awlays add additives but if it doesnt leak dont waste youre money, if you want it to run cooler and cleaner then put a ps pump cooler and filter on it.

Power steering fluid is essentially ATF, but with different additives. Way back, power steering did use ATF -- I don't recall just when dedicated power steering fluids begand showing up.

The FSM (naturally) says to use only Mopar power steering fluid. Don't recall but I assume there is some Mopar or SAE spec number associated with it. I think any power steering fluid meeting the specification would be okay. I would use ATF (or Dexron) without hesitation in an emergency, but I would not use it as a regular maintenance item.

PS is a simple hydraulic system. Any hydraulic fluid will work (PS fluid, ATF, brakefluid, ect.) I just use brake fluid in mine, so I can carry less bottles of vital fluid, seen as my brakes, clutch and PS use it.

Lazarus this is true but DO NOT ever mix ps fluid with brake fluid unless you want to replace an entire brake system, in case some of you dont know.

mikecooper said:
Lazarus this is true but DO NOT ever mix ps fluid with brake fluid unless you want to replace an entire brake system, in case some of you dont know.

Thanks for the tip. I never mix, I just use brake fluid in all 3 systems.

Don't put in Lucas, it slows the steering and makes it "gooey", just put in a name brand fluid from NAPA, Pyroil from Auto Zone or Pep Boys.

According to Tom Lee, the most important factor is to go with a clear, non-synthetic oil. He uses GM brand (I use to get it from Lee or the local GM dealer).
On the other hand, Larry at AGR says to go with any full synthetic brand, no blends, has to be full synthetic.

With a PS cooler I don't think it really makes any difference.

Paul

I've never had trouble running NAPA brand Power Steering Fluid. The reason? Simple, it comes in gallon jugs.

When you are replacing that hose you should go ahead and flush the system, that's where the gallon jugs come into play, I generally flush a whole gallon of clean fluid through the system to clean it up, I figure I can afford the money wasted on that gallon.

Also for god's sake put a cooler in! If you have the system cracked open anyway it's madness not to. The Hayden 1009 is what I used. It was cheap and available by order through Kragen Auto with a same day turnaround.

Might as well change the return line too, a lot of crud sits in that rubber. That's simple 3/8" high pressure hose, nothing fancy. I ran the cooler from the return line.

Back