• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Blowing Coolant tanks

boise49ers

NAXJA Forum User
My son has a 90 XJ with a closed system. It hasn't really over heated, but it builds so much pressure it has blown 3 plastic coolant reservoirs in 2 days. It had low coolant below the half mark and wasn't over filled. The last 2 were the after market ones, but the first was the factory Jeep GOOD one. What could cause the fast build up of pressure. The gauge reads at operating temp.

boise49ers said:
My son has a 90 XJ with a closed system. It hasn't really over heated, but it builds so much pressure it has blown 3 plastic coolant reservoirs in 2 days. It had low coolant below the half mark and wasn't over filled. The last 2 were the after market ones, but the first was the factory Jeep GOOD one. What could cause the fast build up of pressure. The gauge reads at operating temp.
Head gasket high pressure leak, have it sniffed.

4.o s aren't known for blowing head gaskets. Nothing happened to bring it on either. No major overheating or loss of power. It would be foamy too, wouldn't it ? I've had a blown Head gasket in an old Gremlin with a 242 and it foamed up bad. I drove it until I cracked the block. One of those expendable Cars.

Even if there was a leak and getting combustion pressures in the tank, the cap shoudl releive the pressure at some point. (16 psi? I think?)

That is what I thought, It should blow by the cap before blowing the tank. Could it just be the chinese after market are that bad ? ? ? They blew in the same spot. Plus what I forgot to mention is that it blows it after you shut it down. The water quits circulating then it builds more pressure and blows it out around the spout that connects the bottom hose.

Last edited:
Back