• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hood Vents (again)

96xjeeper

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all, I know hood vents have been worn out on here lately but I am wondering if anyone has pix of Pontiac (GTP) Grand Prix vents on thier XJ, or just pix of them at all?

here's a pic of mine, although a little hard to see.

16frontLft3-4-med.JPG

Not trying to thread hijack, but Dan, what kind of bumper is that your running??

Mike

I made my bumper. I have a good design that I have been working on for production, but I've busy doing some engine conversions and roll cages lately. I've got my production prototype almost done. Once that's done, I'll probably be making about 10 at a time. Havent got a dollar amount for them yet, But I'm thinking somewhere around the $350 range. Of course, I'll be offering a NAXJA discount.

Dan

Dan, how much would shipping be on one of those, and let me know when they are for sale. thanks

not sure how much the shipping will be. It will probably weigh in the neighborhood of 60 to 70 lbs. My zip is 92399. If you go to the ups site, you might be able to get an ideas of what the shipping might be. They are made of 3/16" steel and will have mounts that are 1/2" or 3/4" (havent decided yet) Mine is super sturdy and really stiffened up the front end of my XJ. They will fit up to a 9000 lb low profile winch. I mounted the solenoid box inthe engine compartment and put the hand control plug in the grill. I also put a momentary switch on the dash to control it frm in the cab without the hand remote. Also plan on having them powder coated in a 'black chrome' finish that looks nice. Better than the krylon I have on mine.

Dan

Yeah - thought of that -- the damned part of it is that the "louvers" in those vents are also angled (matching the angles on the minor ends) -- so swapping side to side leaves the louvers in a "odd-looking" angle -- (kinda looks like fat-pant-pleats facing the center of the windshield).

I set about qty=30 few aero-yarns on half the hood to find the placement, still compromised some to avoid braces, but at higer speeds there's like a windshield reversion that flows more from the center of the hood ...

I figured that the fat-pleats and the fact that the louvers would face into a flow at speed would be enough reason for me to swap em to the sides they're on now -- They're good at crawl and don't suck at speed...

Anyone got a photo of these GTP vents swapped side to side (I've seen em lower on the hood like the ZJ) - I'd liek to see some photo of em the other-way-round... (Gojeep, you seen any that way?)

vents

Some years back, I had a ElCamino that I dumped a 427 into, I had a major problem with the temp under the hood. My solution was, I cut out the louvers from an old clothes dryer(located on the back of the control panel on top) and then cut the hood and tacked the louvers in place, a little filler and paint, and they looked like I paid $35/louver plus the $85 set up charge(louvers are not cheap), all said and done I had about $10 invested. HTH

goldxj

i found a set off of one of the last years of a 280ZX, going to try to put them on if i can't find a set of Chrysler Laberon Turbo Hood Vents on the east side.

Back