• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need Head Work...

GSequoia

Everyone says I'm a jerk.
NAXJA Member
Okay guys, here's the deal, my head gasket blew (well, you probably already know that) and I need to have my head refreshed, anybody know a good shop in the L.A. or South Bay that I could have do this for me?

Thanks
Sequoia

Vellios (sp) in either Redondo Bch or Lawndale. They are on Manhattan Beach Blvd between Inglewood Ave and Hawthorne. If you're heading west on MB blvd they are on the right. Frumpy looking shop but their work is good. 1 head, 1Datsun L20B, 2 vw motors, all ran good the first time in. I've had friends go there with the same results.
Good Luck!
Tony
PS, grew up in Torrance.

Sequoia, the title for this thread , well, ah, it's kinda like stapling a bulls eye to your fore head. LOL! Don't you think? Huh?

Cherokid, I like the sig.

The answer: :spin3:

If you have the basic tools and know how to wrench some it isan't that hard to change the head gasket your self. Just have the head resurfaced and hot tanked at machine shop. I did mine and it only took me about 6hrs first one ever. You can get the whole parts set up new with new manifold gasket for about $180. They wanted $600 at a local shop to do it. Just a thought

Oh I'm doing the work myself, it's just the work ont eh head that I'm outsourcing (becuase I don't have the equipment or knowledge to do that), when it comes to pull ing the head off and putting it back on that's just grunt work!

I'm interested to see how heavy the head is. Compare it to the other vehicles I've beheaded. (You know, a Ford 460's head is HEAVY, but not as heavy as it's intake manaifold!)

I just got my head back from the machine shop. It was warped, .012". Had it milled down flat again. The exhaust valves and seats were pitted from the "hot water injection" so I got the deluxe valve job too. It ran me $85.00, which I feel is a great deal. I've taken enough stuff to him, I know he does quality work.
And, he got it done in two days for me so I could have it by the weekend.

Sequoia, I thought you might be especially interested in this, especially about the cost. I wouldn't be surprised if yours is worse than mine though. Mine still ran well, just got hot under a load.

Dan

LOCAL So Bay:

Vote #2 for Vellios ......I had them do a bit of work on my old truck i had. It run great after they fixed it. Just took a few days longer then they said would take. Good price & great work.

Not So Local So. Cal.

You may want to try giving John @ AJAX AUTO a call. Hes out in riverside somewhere but i know he has a ton of motors in his yard that he is selling very cheap. Most of his motors are from roll overs & crashed rigs. You can look him up on the Jeepspeed.com board. Ive seen a few of his installs & motors in the past year and all of them seem to be still going strong.

Robert

John (AJAX) & Jeepspeed

To kinda follow up on KINGSIZE'S response....
John aka AJAX Auto Wrecking is in Coachella/Indio down here in the low desert. He does have lots of XJs, BUT ! he knows XJ parts & what they should go for $ wise. Hes about 3 miles from my front door.
See Ya ! MAN ! IT'S HOT TODAY !!!!!
Curt (aka Xtreme XJ)

Did you end up getting your head worked on?

Yea it sure is hot outside curt, I'm melting down here at work with the AC on 59* :)

Imagine that. It was hot seven years ago and it's hot again today.

Two dusty threads in one day. What's goin on.

DAMN ! Tone...
Why dredge this relic up...

Not broke down & not on S.M. Blvd.

Curt

Back