• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is this normal?

IntrepidXJ

NAXJA Member #647
First off, I have a 92 XJ with Rusty's 2" BB.

Yesterday, I put some 30x9.5x15 Dunlop Mud Rovers on the stock wheels.

When I turn the wheel all the way to the left, I am rubbing slightly on my LCA, however, when I do the same to the right, I still have at least 1/4-1/2" clearance.

Is this normal?

It's normal if you didn't modify the track bar after lifting the Jeep. The axle moves slightly toward the driver side as you lift it. That would normally cause them to rub when turning all the way to the right though, unless you did modify the track bar and went slightly too far. You have to re-center the axle using an adjustable track bar, or a bracket, or re-drilling the hole. You can also adjust the steering stops if the axle is centered so that it contacts those before the tires contact the LCAs.

i have rustys 3'' lift with 31s and the tires rub the LCAs , however i did not modify my track bar at all. so i am sure the axle is not perfectly centered. (rustys said it was not nessary to redrill)
will this cause any problems down the road?
i dont mind the tires rubbing i just dont want anything to wear out prematuraly b/c the axle is a little off center

I can't see how it would affect longevity of any components at all, except maybe the tires, and that wouldn't be severe. It'll just affect your alignment and your turning radius a little. 2-3" of lift only moves it over less than 1/2" I believe.

Quick fix: Adjust steering stops.

the steering stops are located inboard of both front wheels. they look like a bolt sticking out towards the front of the jeep with a nut spot welded to it. to adjust just insert flat washers (1/2" i believe) till when at full lock the tires dont rub. its a trial and error operation. I used 2 flat washers for 31" BFG, and have no rubbing on control arms at all.
hope it helps
-fonz

Back