• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Routine Maintenance Reminder "Program"

Thayer

NAXJA Member #1255
I always used a crappy Excel spreadsheet to keep track of when I did my maintenance things, like changing the oil, but I got really bored and made it more like a program that reminds me when to do stuff. I pretty much just have to enter in my mileage and it lets me know what I need to do. I'll email you the file if you want to use it.

Does anyone know of a timeframe for when gear oil in the diff needs to be changed? Also, I noticed that the regular use service schedule in the manual calls for the coolant change before the severe use schedule...weird...hehe.

program.jpg

5-90 said:
I'd not mind trying something like that - with four XJ's to keep track of...

5-90

Dang, 4 XJ's. With the exception of 5-90, PM me or post your email address, so I can send you the file. I'll send it out later today. Let me know if you find bugs or need help customizing it.

I changed it so you can add up to 3 other service items by just adding more columns. For the reminder part (green section), you can expand that by copying and pasting from cells to the left. I'm sure you'll figure it out if you use Excel a lot.

Here's an example...

program2.jpg

I would definitely like one, thanks!
GOOD IDEA - nice job.
(I've thought of doing something like this for awhile now, but have never had the time....well, if I did have the time I probably ended up surfing NAXJA instead!)

[email protected]

you said that its a program that notifies you when something needs to be done. is there like a reminder that pops up on your desk or something? if so i could never figure out how to do that kind of stuff. im close to computer illeterate.

westsacxj said:
you said that its a program that notifies you when something needs to be done. is there like a reminder that pops up on your desk or something? if so i could never figure out how to do that kind of stuff. im close to computer illeterate.

Nope, that's way over my head. Maybe someone who knows VB or some other cool programming language can do that, but I have no clue. With my thing, you have to do it the brute force way by opening the Excel file, entering in your current mileage, and looking to see if any X's show up in the "What to do" section.

Wow, I didn't think so many people would want to use this spreadsheet. Instead of me emailing the file to everybody, you can download it from langer1's website. Go here:

http://members.isp.com/[email protected]/Maintenance/Maintenance.html

Everybody thank langer1 for hosting it.

If you find something wrong with the spreadsheet, PM me and let me know. I'll fix it, send a copy to langer1, so he can host the most recent version for as long as he wants to. I'll post here to let everybody know there's a new version and what was wrong with the old one.

Back