• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ tow package

Heepofajeep

NAXJA Forum User
What does a factory tow package look like? Reason I ask is because there is a cherokee about an hour away from me that has a tow package, but I am not sure how to tell if it was added on, or if it is factory?

The Jeep is an '88, so I am obviously hoping it has the dana 44 rear. I don't want to go through a tank of gas, however, only to realize that it is not a dana 44. I asked the owner, but he has no idea, and isn't around the vehicle right now to look at the diff.

Thanks!
-Andy
(360) 909 3055

AFAIK the factory towing package came with the D44 for sure, but it also has a wiring harness built in for trailers too if I remember correctly, otherwise you have to make your own because there is no kit any company makes that is made for the early years of the Cherokee. My jeep is an 87 without the towing package and I still got the D44 factory, so its up in the air for you

If it's the heavy duty Class III tow package with the receiver hitch, you should expect a tranny oil cooler too. Check in front of the radiator for this.

Note that there was also the light-duty tow package, with the bumper hitch, and this involved no other modifications except for the wiring harness. That hitch is very strong, by the way, but you for sure won't get a Dana 44 with it.

Heepofajeep said:
Actually, what I need is just to know what the factory tow package looks like (visually). All I have to go by is a picture of the rear of the jeep.
Post the picture but I don't think you can tell much from a picture.

Well, my light duty tow package had the hitch, and it also had frame reinforcments that bolted to the bottom of the frame and ran up to about the back seat. It also had a 5 pin trailer electrical connection, and it also includes and electric brake switch that would be under the dash on the driver's side, opposite of where the Trans computer is for an AW4.

karter74 said:
AFAIK the factory towing package came with the D44 for sure,
No, it didn't.

My '88 has the light duty tow package and came with a Dana 35. Mike from NJ bought his '87 new with the light duty tow package and he got a Dana 44. And I've seen other '88s and '89s with the factory Class III tow package and Dana 35s.

There is NO way to be certain other than to look. Do not assume that even if it has a factory tow package it will have a Dana 44 rear axle.

Back