• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Yet another oil pressure post...

Alienspecimen

NAXJA Forum User
Searched this forum only and did not find an answer in the first eight pages...
My oil pressure in the first twenty minutes of driving is between 47 and 52 psi, depending on how hard I am pressing the gas pedal. After that, it drops to about 42 and it stays there no matter how hard the gas pedal is depressed. Is this normal? Hot idle is about 22.
99/130K/4.0/Mobil 1 5W-30/ Mobil 1 oil filter.
Thanks in advance
Boris

Yes, that's normal. Remember that the gauge is probably not exact to the pound, but the readings you're getting are fine. Whether it has to do with the gauge and sender or the engine design, you'll find that there is very little fluctuation of the pressure when running, and it's quite normal for it not to rise when you rev it up.

Alienspecimen said:
Searched this forum only and did not find an answer in the first eight pages...
My oil pressure in the first twenty minutes of driving is between 47 and 52 psi, depending on how hard I am pressing the gas pedal. After that, it drops to about 42 and it stays there no matter how hard the gas pedal is depressed. Is this normal? Hot idle is about 22.
99/130K/4.0/Mobil 1 5W-30/ Mobil 1 oil filter.
Thanks in advance
Boris

Sounds good to me. As the engine warms up and the oil gets hotter, its viscosity decreases so the oil pressure goes down as well. As long as the oil pressure is at least 13psi at idle and at least 37psi on the highway, all is well.

Back