• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2000 Sport won't start - fixed!!

Craig

NAXJA Forum User
Thanks for comments on previous post. Thought it was a clogged fuel filter, but after looking at what it would take to drop the tank and replace the module, decided to check the injectors on more time... just to be sure.

Culprit was the "auto shut-down relay". Coil still worked, relay goes "click", but the contacts were pitted and burnt. Replaced cheap-a** relay with heavy-duty chrome-plated automotive-grade paper clip - it runs!

Here's how it works: When you turn on the ignition, the ASD relay is energized and sends current (+) to the injectors. The (hot) wires from the injectors go to the ECU, which turns the injectors on and off.

If the ASD-to-injector wire shorts out somewhere, that one injector won't fire. If the injector-to-ECU wire shorts out, that injector is now always on, causing rough running and misfires (Code P020x). If the contacts in the relay carbon up (my case) or the ECU fails, none of the injectors work. Everything else works, just no fuel gets to the cylinders and no fault codes or CEL.

To check the ASD relay, turn on ignition, relay should click on. Each injector harness should now have a hot (+) lead. Unplug each harness and use a test light or voltage meter to make sure one of the contacts is hot - ground to battery (-). If none have juice, the ASD relay may be bad. Try jumper wire across contacts 30 and 87. If that fixes it, it was a bad ASD relay. If still no juice, you've got wiring problems. Condolences.

If all the injectors have juice, plug a test light into the two contacts on the injector harness and crank the engine. Check each injector harness. The light should blink as the ECU "fires" the injector. No blinky, bad ECU or something else. Again, condolences.

These forums have helped me, so I hope this helps someone else!

Back