• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Torque Converter Testing

GSequoia

Everyone says I'm a jerk.
NAXJA Member
Got an engine swap coming up and was looking to see if anybody has any easy ways to check out the torque converter while I have it apart. I've seen the process in the FSM which says it requires special toos; anybody know if I can easily do it without special stuff?

The main reason I ask is because I am unsure if my torque converter locks up like it should. A couple years ago I installed a TC Lock switch and I don't really notice any difference when using the switch verses not using it.

Transmission functions flawlessly so we're not talking total meltdown here.

Last question:

When I flush the transmission with B-12 does that get into the torque converter much? I'm thinking it's possible that the clutch is just gummed up (my AW4 clutches were gummed up awhile back; the B-12 flush sucessfully cleared them off and stopped the slipping).

Thanks,
Sequoia

I don't know how to test it but with mine if I forget to unlock the converter the engine will stall, just like you forgot to push the clutch in when you stop.

Back