• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2000 Sport won't start - replace fuel filter?

Craig

NAXJA Forum User
OK, now the D*** thing just won't start.

2000 Cherokee Sport with 4.0 six. Cranks forever but won't start. Squirt some starting fluid in and it fights for a while but never takes. Let it sit overnight and it started up just fine, made it about a mile, then just died about 200 yds down a dirt road. Had to use my Saab 9-2X (Subaru) to tow it out of the sand and back home.

No fault codes, checked the auto shut-down relay, pump comes on for a second when I turn the key. Looks like the problem is a blocked fuel line or clogged fuel filter.

So my question: assuming I can remove the hitch, drop the tank and pull the "fuel pump/filter module" without accidentally or intentionally burning my Jeep to the ground... can the 2-cent FILTER be cleaned or REPLACED without having to replace the whole D*** $300 module?

Or would it just be cheaper to put a lift kit on the Saab and use the Jeep for an artificial reef?

Tks

i'd pull the fuel line off somewhere and hit the key and see if fuel is coming out to see if the pump is working.

as for the pump/filter cleaning, you don't have to drop the tank to get the pump out. if you look, the pump is mounted sort of on the front of the tank angled up. you can just pull it out and replace the sock filter.

edit: that's how my 92 is atleast, i don't know if they changed it all around in the later models.

what about the crank position sensor? Just saying that because my CKS is being delivered as my last ditch effort to get my POS 2K working. Did you have any thing that might have told you that something was wrong? Intermittent functioning is a possibility on the fuel pump but so is the CKS from what I understand. Check the book for possible codes that would come up for low fuel pressure. Let me know and I will let you know if my CKS seems to work out. It sounds lie we have similar issues....

Gabe

If it fires when you put fuel down the TB, it isn't the CPS. I may be wrong but I think your fuel filter is in the tank. Pull the fuel line from the injector rail and put it in a bottle and turn on the key. Check you have a decent flow into the bottle. Somebody can most likely give you the actual volume per minute that should end up in the bottle.

If you have fuel then you most likely have an injector drive problem.

I agree - doesn't seem like the CPS because it DOES fire when I spray the starter fluid. Only two things I can figure:

1 - no fuel / not enough fuel at the fuel rail
2 - ECU failure / not firing any of the injectors

The fuel pump does come on when I turn the ignition on, but only runs for a second or so. One of the guys at work says that with the "all-in-one" module, if the fuel pressure sensor is in the module, then the pump could be pumping against a clogged filter, yet the sensor sees full pressure right away.

I bled the fuel rail, only got a little squirt, turned the key on, and the fuel pump still only ran for just a second.

Looking for anyone with experience fixing/changing the filter or module on a 2000 or similar.

Tks

Craig said:
I agree - doesn't seem like the CPS because it DOES fire when I spray the starter fluid. Only two things I can figure:

1 - no fuel / not enough fuel at the fuel rail
2 - ECU failure / not firing any of the injectors

The fuel pump does come on when I turn the ignition on, but only runs for a second or so. One of the guys at work says that with the "all-in-one" module, if the fuel pressure sensor is in the module, then the pump could be pumping against a clogged filter, yet the sensor sees full pressure right away.

I bled the fuel rail, only got a little squirt, turned the key on, and the fuel pump still only ran for just a second.

Looking for anyone with experience fixing/changing the filter or module on a 2000 or similar.

Tks
The fuel pump is on a timer, so that 1 second run is normal, you still need to check the filter/pump in the tank.

Have you checked your battery?

Try this:
Day (have a friend in front of XJ)/Night (solo will work)

Turn headlights on...
turn over engine...

we're your headlights dimming badly? -may need a new battery.

Back