• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Factory Tow hooks

andrew2516

NAXJA Forum User
Going to the junkyard thats about 45 minutes away from house, to get some factory tow hooks off of an older xj(pre 92). I was wondering what tools I will need to get them off. If anyone knows this would help greatly! Also I was wondering how hard it will be to take them off with that many years of rust from the salt in PA.

andrew2516 said:
Going to the junkyard thats about 45 minutes away from house, to get some factory tow hooks off of an older xj(pre 92). I was wondering what tools I will need to get them off. If anyone knows this would help greatly! Also I was wondering how hard it will be to take them off with that many years of rust from the salt in PA.

If those are the ones that go all the way to the back that back bolt might be either T45 or T50 (can't remember which, you best buy a set).

Torch. HTH. JIM.

I have pulled a bunch from rusty old MN XJ's. You will need a T55 Torx bit, 15MM wrench and socket, breaker bar and plenty of extensions. Remove the 3 bolts that hold the power steering pump and move it aside for more room to work. Remove the bumper and tow hook brackets together and seperate them on the ground later. The bolts that hold the reinforcement plate under the radiator usually break, dealer has new ones for like $12.00 each.

Tim_MN said:
I have pulled a bunch from rusty old MN XJ's. You will need a T55 Torx bit, 15MM wrench and socket, breaker bar and plenty of extensions. Remove the 3 bolts that hold the power steering pump and move it aside for more room to work. Remove the bumper and tow hook brackets together and seperate them on the ground later. The bolts that hold the reinforcement plate under the radiator usually break, dealer has new ones for like $12.00 each.
why remove the power steering pump? When I had the oem towhooks I've never had to even touch it :confused:

If you do end up shearing or torching the bolts that go through the reinforced hole in the frame, make sure that you either get the right ones or grind the heads down on the ones you use, because otherwise the swaybar will hit the heads.

Kejtar said:
why remove the power steering pump? :confused:

When you are at the junkyard pulling stuff, I meant. It makes it much easier to get to the mounting nuts and bolts for removal.

Back