• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Just a picture and a few arrows

Alienspecimen

NAXJA Forum User
detail
I did not see the picture while typing the message, so there is the link just in case:
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/alienspecimen/detail?.dir=/1a08&.dnm=f44d.jpg&.src=ph

I know that for 99, the engine compartment should look much better, but this is New England...
I have two questions, the first one has to do with the thinner arrows:
I would like to change the valve cover gasket and do a tune-up. Are the three hoses "empty", meaning would anything leak if I remove them so I can have more room? Actually I would like to replace them.
I also have two thicker arrows that point to hoses coming out of the top of the valve cover gasket. I don't know their function yet, but they seem to come from the air filter assembly. It constantly gets a little oily around them, is this normal? I dont see any oil on the air filter.
Thanks in advance
Boris

the thicker arrows are pointing to the ccv system. The front hose draws filtered air from the airbox into the crankcase, and the rear hose feeds sludge and other crap into the intake manifold to be burned in the engine. clean them regularly to prevent oil from leaking into the airbox. if they are leaking on the valve cover get new grommets for a better seal(About $5 from the dealer.)

Alienspecimen said:
detail
I did not see the picture while typing the message, so there is the link just in case:
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/alienspecimen/detail?.dir=/1a08&.dnm=f44d.jpg&.src=ph

I know that for 99, the engine compartment should look much better, but this is New England...
I have two questions, the first one has to do with the thinner arrows:
I would like to change the valve cover gasket and do a tune-up. Are the three hoses "empty", meaning would anything leak if I remove them so I can have more room? Actually I would like to replace them.
I also have two thicker arrows that point to hoses coming out of the top of the valve cover gasket. I don't know their function yet, but they seem to come from the air filter assembly. It constantly gets a little oily around them, is this normal? I dont see any oil on the air filter.
Thanks in advance

Boris

First off, let me say WOW!

Secondly the thin arrows I believe are pointing at your upper radiator hose and the smaller hoses are your heater hoses. All of which are filled with coolant. No need to to remove those to get the VC off. The other stuff is not a problem. PLEASE don't over tighten your VC if you replace it.

The thin arrows are full of coolant. One is the top rad hose and the other two are for your heater. The two thick arrows are just vacuum and usually have a little oil from under the valve cover. Don't worry unless your air filter is soaked.

Back