• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Poly buckets

Rev Den

NAXJA Forum User
OK...so my seats are trashed (should have covered them when welding:doh:
I am thinking about the inexpensive poly buckets seats with covers, seem like a water resistant & cheap way to go. The question is....How comfortable are these things? I am 6' 250Lbs, am I gonna hate 'em, find them livable, or love them?

Whatcha all think?

Discussion about any seat over $150 is not relevent here, for that kinda money I will sit on my crappy stockers.

Rev

Rev Den said:
Whatcha all think?

Seat covers.
I was recently searching for replacement seats, and tried the cheapies you mentioned. I am the same height/weight as you and they were lousy for me. My back is still in decent shape, but I prefer a little more comfort.
Probably depends on the seat time though. I put too many miles on mine to be uncomfortable.
I did find a solution, but it was more than $150.

Last edited:
Keep the stockers ... I tried cheap molded seats in a Ranger and they lasted about two weeks ... oh they held up fine, it was me that gave out. They were monstrously uncomfortable and I bit the bullet and got Mastercraft racing seats. Expensive but I didn't have stockers to fall back on.

I have heard one report that these aren't bad, for less than $200. They have a metal seat frame, don't know anything else...

I have used Beard Super seats for years, although not in my Jeep. I do have a back that would complain loudly if I didn't have some extra support. My stock seats in the Jeep do need replacing also. I was thinking of getting some from a junk yark. My brothers jeep (XJ) has some comfortable stock seats. I believe he has a Laredo package. Anyone like thier stockers?

I just looked into Tuckers suggested seats...THEY RECLINE!!
And they are only a few bucks more than a beard seat..NEED MORE INFO!!! Has anyone run these or seen them on another Jeep?

Ronbo, Tucker...thanks. I did a little looking in APC seats. They are geared toward the "ricer" crowd...and even they don't seem to think much of the construction. Perhaps I will just do a "redneck recover" on mine. I do not want to spend allot on seats that WILL get wet.

Rev

Ricer seats are cool in corners I guess, but they absolutely SUCK for any type of highway driving. Ask me how i know:rolleyes:

Anyway, why not keep the burnt out stockers and throw a set of these on there?
Seat Covers

My friend has a set and if they get wet he just squeegees the water off.

Lucas, i had thought of that....I looked at the Wet Okole brand and liked it, but, that some bucks. The e-bay store from the link does not have covers for seats with seperate headrests.

Thanks for the ideas.

Rev

You have a wife that can sew?

I used the Wet O. neoprene covers in my old samurai and while they were cool and were fine if I left the top off for a night or two... they only lasted about 1.5-2 months. Anywhere on the seat that was rubbed as I climbed in and out wore out pretty fast, WAY to fast for the money. That was a few years back though, when they first came out, so maybe they are better now.

marcus

Two thoughts.

First off, for custom seats. If you want cheap you can make your own very nice custom seats. You can start with either a polly or fiberglass base unit and use different densitys and thicknesses of foam to make a trully custom seat, very comfortable and very in expensive.

For seat covers, costco now has some "oakly style" seat covers ( I think they are neoprean, but not positive) that are like $20 for the pair. And they look pretty nice if you just need to cover up the look of the stock seat. A friend of mine has them in a 90 xj and they fit well (full head rest) but they do not fit well in my 89 with open head rests.

Just a couple of thoughts.

Michael

Back