• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need help fast! Stalling issues!

88XJSport

NAXJA Forum User
Ive searched this site but none match my problem. I have an 88 cherokee 4.0l aw4 4x4, and i am having a serious stalling/bucking problem. It will not hold idle at all when the engine is warm. When it is cold, it will run for 45-50 seconds perfectly, then it will shut down like i turned the key off. Then i refire it, and it will run for another 10-15 seconds, and shut down again, only this time, the engine will shake violently in the engine bay, about 150-200 rpm's then i will give it gas, the engine will cut out, then i let off the throttle and it cuts back in, then chokes itself shakes violently again and take five seconds to finally kill itself. I am stumped and do not know where to look next. Here is a list of what has been changed.

CTS
CPS
cap
rotor
plugs
wires
EGR system
O2 sensor
vacuum lines good
MAP checked (is good)
no clogged cat. converter
fuel filter
fuel pump works (hear it hum at turn of key)

Again i am stumped and do not know where to go next, jeep has 150,xxx miles and would like to have help as soon as possible! Any help is apreciated.

Last edited:
Back