• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Electrical Problems

tgilligo

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 88 Cherokee Laredo I bought about a month ago that has been having a wierd electrical problem. When I bought it the radio was working as were the power windows. After a week or so the radio died with the power window/lock controlers on all but the driver's side door. I checked all the fuses and they were fine. The radio is from a Cherokee but was installed later so I took apart the dash hoping to find an in-line fuse but couldn't find anything. I'm starting to think it is a short. If anyone has any thoughts on this I would greatly appreciate it.

Might be your ignition switch. When mine was going out on my 87xj, the wipers and fan were intermitant. After the car is started, try wiggling the key around.

I agree, a while ago I had a similar problem. When i turned the key to crank all that stuff went off, then after it cranked the key didnt come back far enuff to the "run" position. All I did to fix it was bump the key back a hair and i got my creature comforts back.

Mike

I agree on the switch...the diagnostic key is to check for power at BOTH sides of the fuse with the ignition on...This is using a test light or voltmeter connected to a good ground...if there is NO power to the affected circuits...it's most likely the ignition switch..

If it is the switch, it most likely died from overheating due to bad connections on the harness where it plugs into the switch.. if the wires and or terminals are melted or burned, the bad connections must be repaired or the switch will fail again..the repair isn't especially hard.

It is possible that the ignition switch could be related to the radio and all the windows but the door locks are hot all the time. It's not uncommon to find the wiring harness short out in some places.

So the windows only work from the master switches ?. Is the window lock on or off ?. Is the window or door lock circuit breaker hot ?.

There are three fuses for the radio. One in on the back of the radio itself, one is for the ignition switched power (labeled as radio), and the other is usually the dome light fuse for memory power.

Back