• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power Seats not working

G6SRE

NAXJA Forum User
Hi
New to this forum so apologies if this has been asked before
I have a 93 Cherokee LTD with power seats here in the UK . Up till recently they worked fine then they stopped working altogether. None of the motors work at all. I thought this would be a simple electrical fault as the whole system was affected. (I am an electrician) But when I checked out the circuit I have volts in all the right places from the circuit breaker under the dash all the way through the seat switches to the motor connector block. From my manual I see there is another breaker/fuse at each motor although I find it hard to believe all 6 would fail at the same time. So, any ideas on the fault and are the motors repairable if they are the prooblem.
Thanks Barry

Even if the voltage is o.k. at the seats, it does not necessarily mean that the connection is o.k. I have had the same issue: all voltages and connections seemed o.k., but the seats were as dead as a dodo.

Connect one seat directly to your battery and see if this makes any difference. It did in my case, so I simply drew a new wire from the fuse box to the seat.

Headache said:
Even if the voltage is o.k. at the seats, it does not necessarily mean that the connection is o.k. I have had the same issue: all voltages and connections seemed o.k., but the seats were as dead as a dodo.

Connect one seat directly to your battery and see if this makes any difference. It did in my case, so I simply drew a new wire from the fuse box to the seat.

Hi finally got to try your tip, ran a wire direct from the battery and everything works fine. Many thanks Headache
Best wishes for the New Year
Barry

I guess my problem is along these lines.. I have a 87' Chief. Got some power seats from the junk yard. Went to put them in, I have no power seat wire under the carpet... The wire that goes to the lights to light up the shifter bezel can hook into it.. but no worky. So my question is, how did you hook up the wire from your battery to you seat? I know it sounds like an obvious answer but... what kind of wire was it and how did you plug it into the power seat? If somebody could please explain more in detail how to re-wire a power seat that would be great. I have the wire that goes from both seas to the Y connector that is usually under the carpet...but nothing to plug the into. Your help is greatly appreciated.:yelclap:

Best bet and easiest way I found was to get a simple fuse block from Buss, the fuse company.

I attached mine to the firewall above the brakes on the engine side and then ran a large power wire to it from the battery side post.

From the new fuse block I ran a separate power wire for each seat to the seat wiring where you'll see power and ground. The power should then go into the adjustment switches and then to the motors. I ran the ground to the seat base stud holding the seat in place.

156000620.jpg

Last edited:
John,that is excellent. How much was total cost for the new fuse block + the wiring you used? I imagine fairly cheap? And do you have any pictures at all of your setup? Or perhaps a diagram? I'm trying to think in my head how you did it so I can get an idea of what it should look like. When you say the power should go into the adjustment switches.. where will I put it there? If it's a single wire... cuz the way it's set up right now, it has the harness that looks kind of like a fuse chip.. a male plug in basically. How did you do that part? The more info/pics/description of how you did it would be wonderful. I want to get these seats in asap. It's really weird driving with just the driver's seat and no carpet... thanks again!:looney:

Bdiddy11 said:
John,that is excellent. How much was total cost for the new fuse block + the wiring you used? I imagine fairly cheap? And do you have any pictures at all of your setup? Or perhaps a diagram? I'm trying to think in my head how you did it so I can get an idea of what it should look like. When you say the power should go into the adjustment switches.. where will I put it there? If it's a single wire... cuz the way it's set up right now, it has the harness that looks kind of like a fuse chip.. a male plug in basically. How did you do that part? The more info/pics/description of how you did it would be wonderful. I want to get these seats in asap. It's really weird driving with just the driver's seat and no carpet... thanks again!:looney:

I think the fuse block was about $10. The wire came off of a spool I keep for these kinds of projects....who knows on the cost.

The stock setup is a simple 2 wire plug coming from under the carpet that plugs into the seat base. From there it goes into the switch panel where the power is directed based on which switch is used.

You only need to get power to the power wire side of the 2 wire plug and then run the other wire to ground. You can either scrounge a female side plug from a parts rig at the wrecking yard or try the electrical section at a better parts store if you want an easy to disconnect setup using the factory type plug. Or you can use some other type of disconnect for the power and then run the ground to the seat base bolt, making both able to be disconnected.

I'll try to get you a photo this weekend when the rig is uncovered.

Thanks again John. I would rather do it right knowing what i'm doing then do a hack job and have to just fix it later. You don't have like a paint or something similar diagram do you? a lay out of the wires.. where the wires go just so I can get a good mental picture of what it technically should look like? Just a rough sketch basically... your help is greatly appreciated.

It's my trail rig and it's under cover on the side of the house. Earliest chance I'll get to look at it is sometime tomorrow.

From the fuseblock I ran the two power wires, one for each seat, through the firewall and for the driver's side down behind the kick panel, under the interior rocker cover and then under the carpet to the hole there for the wiring to come out. If you don't have one, cut one.

For the passenger side I ran the wire behind the dash and then up under the center console then down under the seatbase and to the plug. I left this wire on the surface since nothing really goes near it and it's well protected.

The ground wire is a short stub from the existing plugs ground wire continued to a seat base bolt.

Ok John, from what I read and "think" I understand from your set up it should look like this ghetto fabulous paintshop work....

untitled.jpg

The green box being the fuse block on the engine bay side by the brakes with the red wire being the power wire going through the firewall down the kick panel to the driver's seat and through the dash under the center console to the passenger's seat. The blue wire being the ground from the already existing wire on the seat bolted down to the body...does that look right more or less? And how does the wire connect with the fuse block? Female connector or... and how does the power wire connect to the seat wire? I guess that's where i'm in muddy water and don't quite picture it. Thanks again. You've been a great help. Also, is there any parts store that sells a similar fuse block? I'd rather not have to wait on shipping...

Fuse block part number is 156000620.

You should be able to order at www.partsamerica.com and pick up at your local Schuck's Auto Parts for $10.99. You've got 12 local stores.

The wires connect to the fuse block with a simple female spade connector.

You can use anything you want to connect to the seat wires. I chose to use a leftover female plug from another use to make a connection that could be undone.

You can also use Posi-Lock connectors which work pretty well.

http://www.posi-lock.com/lock2.html

If the 2 wires on the seat don't have an obvious color coding for positive and negative, hook them to 12 volts of power and ground and if you got the right one, the seat will move in the correct direction when the appropriate lever is moved. If not, it will move opposite.

Would Schucks have that part if I just went in w/the number? Or do I have to do it online? Also, what gauge wire did you use? Don't want to spend money on the wrong wire... John, your information has been great. I hope to get this all hooked up a.s.a.p cuz my Jeep just feels weird with just the driver's seat and no carpet...and i'll be near complete with my interior swap... Nappy bourgandy to grey... yay :yelclap: Still have to do the headliner and cut holes for the new overhead console though.

I think I used 12 ga. wire.

I suggested the website since you can check availablility and they will have it waiting for you when you get there. By all means you can call your local store. That's the Bussman part number so you can check anywhere.

Another positive thing about the fuseblock is I was able to run both seats, my ARB compressor, my CB radio and an additional power outlet for my GPS.

Ok cool. How did you connect it to the battery? It connects to the battery right? And seeing as how you used it for other things, is it possible to do the same with lights I mount to the roof?
Thanks again!

You might want to show the guy at Schuck's what you want to do and get some suggestions. Without knowing your knowledge base and how your rig is setup, I'm not sure I can suggest how you should do this.

I ran a large gauge wire from the battery to the fuse block.

I went and got the fuse block last night along with some 12 gauge wire for the seats and some Posi-Lock connectors... cost me $25 make you holla...so what gauge wire would you suggest running from the battery to the block? Do you connect it to the positive or negative? And when you said to ask the guy at Schucks, were you referring to using the block for the lights as well or my set up in general? Thanks again. Can't wait to get this done...1 step closer to finishing my interior swap. Still gotta figure out the e-brake move though...

The short answer is a larger wire like an 8 or 10 ga. connected to the positive battery terminal. You vehicle is negative ground. That means positive is hot.

No offense meant, but you should really look around the web for some basic auto electric sites to get a grasp on how it all works. Don't take my word for how this should all go together, do some research of your own and it will all start to make sense. You'll have a better understanding of the next project, like lights or a radio.

Good luck....let me know how it turns out.

Back