• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine Cutting Out

JKTXJ

NAXJA Forum User
OK, this problem first showed up in Moab at the Fall Fling. At low RPMs, like starting off in 1st gear, the engine starts to cut out and then once it reaches 1300 RPM or so, runs like a champ. If I just rev it in neutral, no problem, it's only under load that it starts acting up. If I pull up to a curb and and use it for resistance while I slip the clutch and keep RPMs around 1000, the engine cuts out something terrible but it never completely dies. It's not like a sputtering from a clogged fuel system but I've ran 3 bottles of injector cleaner anyway, no change. :repair:

Check the TPS. They can have a dead spot, yielding a lean run condition until it hits a particular point of throttle position, when everything gets pretty much back to normal.

This is a 94, is there a way to actually test it or is it a matter of replacing and seeing if that works?

No probs under times of high fuel demand though, only when starting from a dead stop under normal throttle. I find if I over-rev when starting off, the problem does not surface (is a 5 speed so I rev it up and slip the clutch more than normal). I have a 93 XJ also, think I will swap TPS and see what happens. Any other thoughts?

Back