• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil Filter Assembly

wildman

NAXJA Forum User
I brought my vehicle to a private mechanic a few months back to have the oil pan gasket changed on my 89' XJ, 111000 miles, 4x4. Well, I got it back with no more pan leaks, however, I ended up with 2 other leaks. 1 of those leaks is the Oil Pressure Sending Unit, it got bent up when they messed with the Oil Filter Assembly(still not sure why they even toyed with that). The other leak is the Oil Filter Assembly, it was tightened to a ridiculous extent and became twisted. Now to the point.

I need to find an Oil Filter Assembly and set of gaskets but I've had a hard time doing this, and since Hurricane Rita hit us, all of the local dealerships are closed. Does anyone else know where I can find one of these and for how much? Thanks, Casey

For the filter assembly, you can try a junkyard. As for the o-rings, I don't think a part # would do any good since all the dealerships are closed.

How soon do you need the o-rings? I can pick some up and send them out to you. You know, good karma and all. :)

Thanks guys, I already have the O-Rings...found em in the shop from awhile back. I was trying to avoid the junkyard for a filter assembly, so I'm gonna wait til' Monday when the dealership opens and see if they can order me one. Anybody have an idea on what one of those will cost me?

wildman said:
Thanks guys, I already have the O-Rings...found em in the shop from awhile back. I was trying to avoid the junkyard for a filter assembly, so I'm gonna wait til' Monday when the dealership opens and see if they can order me one. Anybody have an idea on what one of those will cost me?

Why? I have been pleasently surprised at the quality and the price of stuff every time I go there. I'm talking about the U-pull it places, I go every 2 weeks even if I don't need something because stuff always turns up where I say "oh yeah I could use a factory cupholder for my XJ" and wind up paying $2.50 for it. Certain things like brakes I wouldn't get there but for stuff that doesn't wear out (like the oil filter adaptor) the Ecology yard is great.

Last edited:
Sorry, didn't mean for it to sound like I was dissing the yards. I get many parts there...spare driveshafts, body parts (fender flares, a new door etc.), and I've obtained a new bench seat and a few other interior parts there. I have a 2nd Jeep that I use mainly for hunting and fun in the mud and I get everything for that one in the yard. However I just choose to get new engine parts (most eventually wear out) for the rig I'm working on from a dealer or parts store. The yards around here charge almost the same for engine parts anyway......

Back