• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

90 4.0 vs 97 4.0 water pump question

tmacie

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all,
I've done a bit of searching and didn't find what i was looking for, if its out there can someone link me to it?

I've got a 90 4.0 4x4 auto Cherokee that had a seized motor. Bought a rolled 97 4.0 4x4 manual cherokee and swapped the motors. I'm now having cooling issues, it looks like the water pump is the issue. What needs to be done to get it right? It's roating proper for the motor but oposite for the vehicle. They both have AC as well.

I'm kinda having a hard time getting my head wrapped around this. so any help would be greatly apreciated.

Thanks,
Travis

FROM FSM

WATER PUMP
Removal
Disconnect negative battery cable. Drain coolant. Remove fan
shroud retaining screws and drive belts. Remove fan. Disconnect heater
hoses and lower radiator hose at water pump. Remove power steering
pump bracket (if equipped) at water pump boss. Remove retaining bolts
and water pump.
Installation
Clean all gasket surfaces. Install water pump. Tighten bolts
to specification. See TORQUE SPECIFICATIONS TABLE at the end of this
article. Ensure pump turns freely. Ensure belt is correctly installed
or engine may overheat because pump rotates in wrong direction.
To
complete installation, reverse removal procedures. Fill cooling
system.

Thanks for the info, so you are saying that the belt routing sould be for the chassis and not the motor, as its routed properly for the motor now.

Thanks again,
Travis

tmacie said:
Thanks for the info, so you are saying that the belt routing sould be for the chassis and not the motor, as its routed properly for the motor now.

Thanks again,
Travis
The belt should be routed the same as it was before you replaced the water pump. If this does not work, you may have gotten a waterpump with a reversed impeller.
did you use an OEM waterpump.

tmacie said:
Hey all,
it looks like the water pump is the issue.... It's roating proper for the motor but oposite for the vehicle.... I'm kinda having a hard time getting my head wrapped around this.

sorry, I guess I just don't understand what's going on either. Are you absolutely sure the waterpump is the problem?

what exactly do you mean by the part highlighted in bold?

Back