• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rant On...

JeepXJ93

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, if you guys read my other post, i asked about my g/f's 98 xj classic that for some reason, stalled when it started, but once you hold the gas down it reset the idle and wouldnt stall, we linked this to the battery that was already really low, so i just replaced the battery and it hasnt happened since, but i let her take my 94 xj just in case that didnt solve the problem. So i'm driving from my work to another location to transfer some products, on the highway doin about 60, when it starts hesitating and almost "bucking"....when i accelerate...so i just decide to cruise and try not to accelerate at all....well it cought up about 2 minutes later and started bucking and hesitating even while just cruising...then i start decelerating bc/ the rpms went down to 1000 even though my foot was still holdin the gas down....then at the end of the off ramp it died. Does start back up immediately w/ no problems...but sputters right away and then 2 seconds later dies....if i feather the accelerator it will sputter for a little longer....i just replaced the battery and serpentine belt and i kept driving it to make sure i fixed the other problem...this doesnt quite seem related...so i'm assuming now something else is wrong....WHY ME!!!...meanwhile shes cruising around in my reliable 94...lol...thanks for listening, and if anyone has any ideas on what i might be...fuel delivery or something? Its getting towed to be diagnosed today and here goes my weekend if i think i can do the job...whatever it may be. Thanks again for any advice.

Rant off...

Ok results for now, the guy at the garage says its the sending unit thats bad, apparently we just ran out of gas, the gauge said we had a little under half a tank....i changed the fuel pump in the old 93 i used to have and it was a pretty easy job...some reason the fuel lines and system look different on the 98 though, is the sending unit something i can easily change out like the pump on my 93? Do i need to get the whole pump or can i get the sending unit separate? Thanks for any advice.

Your 93 was OBDI which had the pressure regulator on the fuel rail and a return line. The 98 is OBDII and has the pressure regulator combined with the filter as a single unit located outside the fuel tank, and it does not have a return line coming from the fuel rail. So they are different.

As far as changing the sending unit, I haven't had to do that yet so I don't know.

K

The fuel pump on '97s and newer are located in the gas tank. You have to drop the tank to access it.

Click the LINKY to see how to swap one out.

ok, so for the sending unit...you still needed to drop the tank and take it off the pump?

P.S thanks for that link, thats a pretty detailed write up. I'm assuming the sending unit that is bad in her jeep is that white plastic peice on the side that they unplugged? DOes the whole unit just come off of the pump?

Last edited:
the sending unit is just the small piece with the float ball that they unplugged. If you have a 97' I believe that there is a recall so you should check with your dealer before you pay for the parts.

Back