• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

88 Jeep Cherokee won't start

smahan21

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 88' Jeep Cherokee Pioneer. It is an inline 6. Recently had a problem with the engine shutting off when it wanted to. I took it to a shop do have them run a diagnostic on it to see what was wrong. They told me that it was the fuel pump so i changed it by myself. I put the new fuel pump on it but when i go to crank up my car it will not start. I remove the fuel hose off of the pump to make sure their is fuel in it and their is nothing. I am wondering if anybody has any suggestions before i have to take it to the shop. I would rather do it myself.

Thanks,
Sean

"I remove the fuel hose off of the pump to make sure their is fuel in it and their is nothing."

Have you checked for power at the fuel pump harnass? If the shop told you it was the pump do you know if they checked for voltage at the pump? There should be 12 volts. There are three wires there. One for power to the pump, a gound wire and one wire for the fuel guage. I don't have a diagram handy but if I remember correctly you are looking at red, grey and black. I may be incorrect but it is a three wire connector near the front of the tank. Check there and if there is no voltage you may have the answer.

Good luck

chris

Do the simple stuff first, when it quits, leave the key on and go check if there is fuel pressure at the fuel rail schrader valve. That will rule in or out the fuel pump. Random dying is most often linked to the CPS, not fuel pump. When a pump goes, it normally just dies and stays dead. If there is no fuel, the most likely culprit is the fuel pump ballast resistor. You can jumper across the resistor to test it with no worry of doing harm. If when you jumper across it, the engine runs, presto.

Had that problem on my 88. Pump would prime, but no fuel to the rail. Took out the fuel pump and ran carb cleaner through it. Works fine. Old gas in the tank for a year varnished it up.

Back