• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New XJ: 2000-2001

geo78

NAXJA Forum User
I have owned a 1990 4.0 Auto for seven years. I am now in the market to upgrade and I am thinking about a 2000-2001. What features should I insist on the Jeep having before I buy it? I am looking for things like, "Make sure it has a factory tow package because that means it will come with an auxillary tranny cooler", etc. I don't know for sure it that last statement is true, but if it is let me know.

Tranny preference is good as well.

Thanks for the help.

Geoff

geo78 said:
I have owned a 1990 4.0 Auto for seven years. I am now in the market to upgrade and I am thinking about a 2000-2001. What features should I insist on the Jeep having before I buy it? I am looking for things like, "Make sure it has a factory tow package because that means it will come with an auxillary tranny cooler", etc. I don't know for sure it that last statement is true, but if it is let me know.

Thanks for the help.

Geoff
Well, you'll definately want 4wd. :laugh3:

Yes, if it comes with the towing package it SHOULD have a tranny cooler. This isn't that big of a deal since coolers can be had fairly cheap.

Features you want are really dependant on personal preference. The only ones I can think of would be that it had a 29 spline 8.25, but then again I think most 97+ came with those anyway. :dunno:

Tranny recommendations?

It ain't like you have a choice. For 2000 and 2001, the 5-speed is an NVG3550 and the auto is an AW4. Buy whichever you prefer, auto or 5-speed. Be advised that the 5-speeds still came with 3.07 gearing, so if towing is in your plans the auto is the better choice.

geo78 said:

Thanks for the help.

Geoff
I've been told that All '01's have the tranny cooler. The '01's also have a dual pre cat exhaust that apparently may get in the way if you swap in a HP D30. I think both '00 and '01 have the distributorless ignitions, my '01 does. That's good when it's working, and expensive to replace.... I think I'd really look for the lowest mile, auto, non ABS model you can find. Beyond that, I think it's taste. We wound up with a Limited to get power seats so my wife can see over the dash! There are ALOT more Sports to pick from. You don't want ABS because it comes with the D35 axle..... Also, if you will be working on it, look for a Non-Rusted undercarriage! it will make your life much easier!
HTH

Look at the fluids VERY CAREFULLY... if there's more rust than water in the radiator, or the oil is starting to look like a milkshake, stay far away. Some 2000 (maybe 2001) XJs had a defect in the 0331-casting cylinder head, makes them crack far too easily between the #3 and #4 exhaust valves on the top of the head... sometimes you can shine a flashlight down the oil filler and see the crack, usually caked with green antifreeze sludge.

brtb said:
Look at the fluids VERY CAREFULLY... if there's more rust than water in the radiator, or the oil is starting to look like a milkshake, stay far away. Some 2000 (maybe 2001) XJs had a defect in the 0331-casting cylinder head, makes them crack far too easily between the #3 and #4 exhaust valves on the top of the head... sometimes you can shine a flashlight down the oil filler and see the crack, usually caked with green antifreeze sludge.
THAT is good to know!

Are you set on having a 2000/2001? It seems like the consesus is that '97-99's are the 'best' of the late models. IMO my '97's have treated me very well, and I have had few problems with them...

-Will

Great information. ABS is definitely out. I am not completely set on a 2000/2001. I will look at 97-99's as well.

Thanks everyone. Keep it coming if there are other things to look/look out for.

Geoff

geo78 said:
Great information. ABS is definitely out. I am not completely set on a 2000/2001. I will look at 97-99's as well.

Thanks everyone. Keep it coming if there are other things to look/look out for.

Geoff
My original target was a '99, non ABS, Upcountry/skid plated, Limited or Classic (for the power seats), Tow package for the Tranny cooler, low miles, and I wanted Chilli Pepper Red.................yeh, good luck! I found one, but with ABS...shoulda grabbed it. After six months of looking, and not a whole lot to look at, I expanded my requirements, and loosened up on the miles. I'm happy with Silver, although that Chilli Pepper Red is a rare one! I wound up with an '01, Limited, high miles, but very clean. I doubt it had ever been in 4wd prior to my purchase! And removing the suspension was not a bad experience! If you can get a '99 with your requirements, I'd grab it simply because you get the HP D30. I've got a HP D30 sitting in my garage...needing regearing. One of the reason's I didn't want the older body style, this is my DD, and I'm getting old...I need some cush every now and then. Actually, this is like a Caddy compared to my previous trail rig!
HTH

Back