• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2001 rear brake thumping. Please help

edmaude

NAXJA Member #1368
Just bought a 2001 sport w/ 28,000 miles on it for my girlfriend. I am noticing that the rear brake make a thumping noise as i come to a stop. Has anyone else had similar problems? I did see a TSB for 97-99 models with the 8.25 axle having a problem with the axle shaft and needing to replace it. Please tell me this is not that case....

edmaude said:
Just bought a 2001 sport w/ 28,000 miles on it for my girlfriend. I am noticing that the rear brake make a thumping noise as i come to a stop. Has anyone else had similar problems? I did see a TSB for 97-99 models with the 8.25 axle having a problem with the axle shaft and needing to replace it. Please tell me this is not that case....
put it on jackstands, take the wheel off, examine the brake for proper operation

Mine is all screwy too. Feels like the drums are egged shaped but they are brand new...

What's the supposed axle shaft issue? I have been wondering if my shafts are bent....which is uunlikey as this XJ has never seen hard use of any sort.

My 96 did the exact same thing. I had the rear brakes machined, cleaned, and adjusted for $45 and it solved my problem.

My rear drums did that too..almost since day 1 when I got it new. It would go away everytime I changed/machined rotors and pads, but would come back about 1 month later, especially when wet. I've had mechanics look at it and they would say things from nothing is wrong to you need a whole new axle. I just lived with it until this summer when I did the disc conversion.

I think I was looking into the problem a few years ago here and someone thought it was the pads shifting and hitting the drum repeatedly. Maybe pull the drums off and replace all those springs with a rebuild kit?

My front brakes do that (at least I think its the front) makes a thumping feel when im stopping. Seems to be intermittent though. I need to have my brakes redone sometime but im thinking of buying new pads and rotors soon anyway.

Mine does the same thing and to get rid of it i turned the drums. It went away and 5 months latter its just now coming back.
Drum turning $11.00 Silence Priceless....

I had this problem on my 2001 Sport, only 48k (all highway) miles, and the culprit was overtorqued lugs. I know of a few others that has the same issue and I told them to simply retorque their lugs by hand and the problem went away. I know it sounds too simple, but it's true, I can post a few thread links if you don't believe me. This was causing drum warp (they are cheap and thin) and the same exact thump while braking that you describe.

This may not always be the case, but I have a feeling that for many, removing the tires and re-torquing is what actually fixed it even though it appears it was turning the drums or something else =)

Last edited:
I guess its a compromise. You either have them jackhammered down and they will never come off or you do it by hand and have that ever so small risk of them coming loose.

Actually hand-torquing is all you really need, you can get them on pretty damn (and plenty) tight by hand. You could even overtorque by hand if you wanted to.

The thing is that most vehicles can easily handle the additional torque that most shops have their guns set to, but the brake components on the Jeeps are so flimsy that many times it's just too much.

Back