• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tranny flush?

Roads

NAXJA Forum User
I have 130,000 miles on my '93 xj sport and I want to change out the tranny fluid. The only concern I have is that the fluid smells burnt and I don't know when the last time it had a change. I have heard that it is sometimes better to just leave it be so you don't stir up a bunch of crap and cuase harm to it. Suggestions?

I suggest you change the oil using the proper jeep recommended fluid and change the filter.....skip on the flush.

Roads said:
I have heard that it is sometimes better to just leave it be so you don't stir up a bunch of crap and cuase harm to it. Suggestions?

That mainly happens if have it flushed by a high-pressure machine, which is what most garages will do. There's the possibility that gunk in the transmission actually seals certain areas, and removing the dirt may cause it to leak.

A clean transmission is not necessary a good thing, but clean fluid is quite important. As the fluid goes through many, many thermal cycles and years of usage, its chemical properties will begin to degrade. This is what causes slippage, poor shifting (sometimes), and just general bad performance. Keep in mind that your engine transfers power to your automatic transmission by propelling fluid at a very high rate of speed.

Dropping the pan will only remove the few quarts inside the transmission itself, leaving quite a bit left in the torque converter. Changing the fluid in the pan is generally enough from a maintenance standpoint, and is the same way that I prepped my XJ after I bought it (93,000 miles).

If you want to change as much fluid as possible, you can do a "low pressure" flush. Basically, this involves removing the transmission lines that run to the radiator, placing the inlet into a vat of fresh fluid and the outlet into a waste container. Start up the engine, put the transmission in gear, and let it pump out the old fluid and suck up the new stuff. When you see new fluid coming out of the outlet, you can replace the hoses. Just be sure that you don't run out of new fluid! This method ensures that the fluid is only pumped through at pressures the transmission will see during use (as you're using the tranny pump itself), reducing the possibility for dirt to become dislodged.

iroc86 said:
That mainly happens if have it flushed by a high-pressure machine, which is what most garages will do. There's the possibility that gunk in the transmission actually seals certain areas, and removing the dirt may cause it to leak.

A clean transmission is not necessary a good thing, but clean fluid is quite important. As the fluid goes through many, many thermal cycles and years of usage, its chemical properties will begin to degrade. This is what causes slippage, poor shifting (sometimes), and just general bad performance. Keep in mind that your engine transfers power to your automatic transmission by propelling fluid at a very high rate of speed.

Dropping the pan will only remove the few quarts inside the transmission itself, leaving quite a bit left in the torque converter. Changing the fluid in the pan is generally enough from a maintenance standpoint, and is the same way that I prepped my XJ after I bought it (93,000 miles).

If you want to change as much fluid as possible, you can do a "low pressure" flush. Basically, this involves removing the transmission lines that run to the radiator, placing the inlet into a vat of fresh fluid and the outlet into a waste container. Start up the engine, put the transmission in gear, and let it pump out the old fluid and suck up the new stuff. When you see new fluid coming out of the outlet, you can replace the hoses. Just be sure that you don't run out of new fluid! This method ensures that the fluid is only pumped through at pressures the transmission will see during use (as you're using the tranny pump itself), reducing the possibility for dirt to become dislodged.
Or...
If you dont want to take the hoses off, raise the rear of the jeep off the ground, put it on jack stands. Drain the fluid, replace the fluid, run the engine and go through the gears, including reverse. Then repeat the process until clean fluid is being drained. Mine ony took two cycles. However the process above works as well. It's just more work.

You need to change your fluid regularly. This will greatly increase your trannies life. You may want to take off the tranny pan, clean out the sludge, and inspect the magnets for filings. (do this before you flush the system)

I do want to add, or stress, that not ALL garages use a high pressure machine to flush the tranny fluid. I work at Tire Kingdom (also owns Merchants Tire and NTB stores) and our machine uses the vehicles own pressure to flush the fluid. The machine we use has no on board power whatsoever and depends on the car running to exchange the fluid.

I am not, however, saying that this is the best way to do a tranny fluid exchange. I have been a mechanic for a long time, and I am still not decided on whether this method is best. I do know that car manufacturers approve of this method to flush tranny fluid.

Personally, I have always thought it important to have a clean filter installed occasionally.

Bender said:
I suggest you change the oil using the proper jeep recommended fluid and change the filter.....skip on the flush.

X2 drain the fluid, repace the filter. add new fluid. Ive run AW4's for over 300,000 miles witout any problems....The only time ive had problems is after a flush...I will stick with the ol skol way. It works

Tally_XJ said:
I do want to add, or stress, that not ALL garages use a high pressure machine to flush the tranny fluid.

Good point; I should have mentioned that. I figured that the method that uses the vehicle's own power could be done by any (and willing) automotive garage.

I just did the wifes Oldsmobile on sat using a sun/snap-on machine, low pressure, all I had to do was remove one tranny connector on the radiator, screw an adapter into the disconnected hose and another in to the radiator, the adapters had the appropriate flare nuts on one end and what looked like air hose quick disconnects on the other that mated up to hoses on the machine. Plug the two lines into the machine, supply and return, hook the machine up to the battery and start the olds up and leave it in park, it exchanged the fluid in about 8 minutes, 12 pints I think.
If I was going to do this on my own I'd probably make up two adapters and a gallon or so container to hang from the hood for the new fluid and run the other out to a container on the ground then let the tranny do the work.
Did the same thing with the cooling system using another sun/snap-on machine, only that one uses shop air to pull fluid out and draw a vacum on the cooling system the pushes new coolant in.

Back