• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gauge swap?

keith haw

NAXJA Forum User
I got a gauge cluster with tech I plan on putting in my 87. Is there a way to set the odometer to match the one I'm pulling out?

Thanks
Keith

There are professional places that will do it for a fee, about $50 last time I checked. I'm ordering a 98 gauge cluster for mine, I think they will send it with the milage I tell them is on it.
I did my 82 S-10 when the spedo broke, it had over 200,000mi on it and I needed to roll the new one forward 170,000mi, this was a work truck so I needed the odo to match my expense reports.

From what I have heard (when I swapped my gauges) monkeying with the odometer can really mess it up. Seems that the car companies designed them to not be messed with. When I did the swap I wrote the old milage and the new milage on a sticker and put one behind the gauges and one on the door frame of the drivers door. Over here in CA there is a box to check on the pink slip when you sell your car that says that the milage isn't accurate. Out here as long as you disclose that the odo is wrong at the time of sale you're ok. No that you were planning on selling, but that is the correct way to deal with the odo discrepency issue.

Use your Spedo - in new cluster

Just disassemble the cluster - pretty simple when out - and plug your spedo in!

Re: Use your Spedo - in new cluster

rsalemi said:
Just disassemble the cluster - pretty simple when out - and plug your spedo in!

When I did this on my 94, the original speedo did not have a tripmeter. The gauge package speedo did.

At least onthe 94, the odometer can be reset with relatively little difficulty, but it is tedious. It's also not tamper resistant.

ChiXJeff

Back